Magento Forum

Magento 1.7 --> categories no longer in URL

fverstegen

Total Posts:  10

Recently I upgraded from 1.5 to 1.7. Great succes, but one thing; the url’s no longer work as I want them to.

My shops layout is as follows;

Layer 1: Categorie
Layer 2: subcategorie
Layer 3: products

So let’s say someone would want a 23” dell monitor. From the homepage he would click;

Layer 1: Monitors.
From there he would click
Layer 2: Dell
Layer 3: 23”

Previously, the url would be domain.tld/monitors/dell/23inch. After the upgrade, the customers simply goes from domain.tld/monitors/dell/ to domain.tld/23inch. So basicly all works fine, untill the customers clicks on a product. At that point the /monitors/dell/ just vanishes from the url. Since this is far less SEOfriendly, I would like to have the /monitors/dell/ back in the URL, does anyone know how this can be done?

Kind regards,

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

tzyganu
Mentor

Total Posts:  2205
Bucharest, Romania

I don’t know if this is a solution, but you can try to rebuild the url rewrites index. Actually rebuild all the indexes.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kab8609
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  821
Cleveland

fverstegen - 11 June 2012 05:11 AM

Recently I upgraded from 1.5 to 1.7. Great succes, but one thing; the url’s no longer work as I want them to.

My shops layout is as follows;

Layer 1: Categorie
Layer 2: subcategorie
Layer 3: products

So let’s say someone would want a 23” dell monitor. From the homepage he would click;

Layer 1: Monitors.
Layer 2: Dell
Layer 3: 23”

Previously, the url would be domain.tld/monitors/dell/23inch. After the upgrade, the customers simply goes from domain.tld/monitors/dell/ to domain.tld/23inch. So basicly all works fine, untill the customers clicks on a product. At that point the /monitors/dell/ just vanishes from the url. Since this is far less SEOfriendly, I would like to have the /monitors/dell/ back in the URL, does anyone know how this can be done?

Kind regards,

From what I can tell, you have “Use Categories Path for Product URLs” set as “No”. Make sure it is set as “Yes” (and then reindex).

System -> Configuration -> Catalog (left nav) -> Search Engine Optimizations (in the content block) -> “Use Categories Path for Product URLs” to Yes

Image Attachments
Screen shot 2012-06-11 at 12.09.37 PM.png

Magento Community
Magento Community

fverstegen

Total Posts:  10

kab8609 - 11 June 2012 07:11 AM

From what I can tell, you have “Use Categories Path for Product URLs” set as “No”. Make sure it is set as “Yes” (and then reindex).

System -> Configuration -> Catalog (left nav) -> Search Engine Optimizations (in the content block) -> “Use Categories Path for Product URLs” to Yes

Wauw, that easy! Worked like a charm mate, thanks a lot! Didn’t even have to re-index!

Magento Community
Magento Community

g0rdian

Total Posts:  65

I’m running EE 1.11.2.0 and this option was enabled by default for me and it worked as expected. I recently disabled that, and it successfully removed the categories from the product URLs.

However, now I want to re-enable the category in the product URL and it has no effect. I changed the setting back to “Yes” and rebuilt all indexes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community