Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How many products can Magento handle ?

Pixlhouse

Total Posts:  9

I am not sure about this.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

cpardo

Total Posts:  21

It need a powerful server to do it, not sure about what? Clear Cache is obvious

Magento Community
Magento Community

glori38

Total Posts:  7

Wow! so good info. thanks a lot for sharing! i have been reading for one hour

Magento Community
Magento Community

Zentec

Total Posts:  19

You may want to look at this thread

Magento Community
Magento Community

Vanquish

Total Posts:  24

To provide some clarity to the situation, Magento can handle up to millions of records however there are issues. Magento loads a large amount of data in to memory so the more stores you have the slower the performance, coupled with large product data sets and you will hit limits very quickly.

Magento is a full featured and heavy load application, adding extra extensions and custom code with the incorrect hosting aggrevates the issue. Magento produces dynamic page loads therefore every time you make a request to the server the CPU bursts and becomes overloaded. The solution for dynamic content is a correctly configured server with high performance Nginx, Litespeed along with PHP caching, PHP compiling, burstable CPU.

The target is to have dynamic page loads below 3-4s and to be in the top websites below 2s.

The second part of this is page caching to produce static content which is sent to the visitor thereby not requiring any dynamic processing or database reads. The issue with this is that there are dynamic aspects on most pages such as a user who is logged in, shopping carts, checkout, etc. Given that, if the content is not in the full page cache, expires too soon or dynamic aspects of the page are required then it will revert to the slowest process being the dynamic page loads above, full page caching will not help.

Therefore, the first principle is to obtain fast dynamic page loads, the more products, stores and extensions the larger the server resources are required. Above a small number of products you will need to look at separate server for MySQL as it uses the resources differently, then preferably Memcache and a CDN for static images. Placing these on the same server can easily cause 8-10s page loads due to contention between the applications, this is the case with most hosting companies running Magento. A full page cache can be added which in ideal scenarios will reduce dynamic page loads by up 50% on the cached content. If you need true enterprise speed, high availability and high visitor numbers then you are then looking at adding web clusters and read/write databases.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kosbik

Total Posts:  12

Hi to all,

Thank you, Vanquish! it was very informative post.

I want to add concerning mass adding and updating products. The problem with clear cache and re-index occurs after the products are imported, however, very often the issues emerge already in the process of import itself.

Here - http://www.mag-manager.com I have found the tool called Store Manager for Magento. They promise that the tool can handle import of 1 million products in one import procedure from one file. Also they say that there is the option to do clear cache and re-index right in the process of import.

I guess it will take really long, but taking into consideration that this is desktop application, but not web-based solution, import could be executed with local PC recourses rather than server resources. It can partly solve the issue with server overload, but for those who are planning to have big stores, I guess they should think about server resources in advance.

Magento Community
Magento Community

eAppWareSaaS

Total Posts:  19

Magento can handle any number of products, the problem comes down to server performance and how to manage that many products in a catalog from a business perspective. This is why we are now releasing our parent products as online solutions, SaaS MDM, SaaS ETL and SaaS Core to help small businesses. These are MDM and ETL tools that automate the process from 100s or products to 10s of millions of products as they are built on enterprise technology, pulling/pushing data between erp, crm, pos, xml, http, csv, ftp, other shopping carts, databases, etc. This means that less staff and less time is required to manage an increase in product and order management, this is the reason companies use MDM and ETL.

On a performance note, there are tools such as Magmi however these use direct database updates for product imports, you need to make sure that tools using direct database updates (bypass the Magento API) are perfectly configured and tested thoroughly as issues do not show up initially. For this reason we primarily use internal APIs to guarantee product import and also not be affected by adding extensions, custom code or version upgrades, scaling loads to hosting performance.

Managing the product catalog in Magento with any more than a few hundred products becomes unmanageable, impossible for grouped or configurable products, the more automated product management is the more products that can be managed. Using MDM and ETL tools we have worked with stores having 100s of thousands of products who had limited staff, without these tools you can only manage a few thousand products and still have enough space to handle changes and actually run a business.

Magento Community
Magento Community

LogoImpressive

Total Posts:  3
India

After reading posts here and through my own experiences I think Magento is quite robust shoppingcart - cum CMS it can handle as many products provided that you have good hosting plans to support that.

Magento Community
Magento Community

audraclarkson

Total Posts:  1

In my opinion, you can add as many product as you want on Magento.

Magento Community
Magento Community

henrywilkins

I tried to search on Google if there is any fixed number which could help you in find the right answer for your query but unfortunately there isn’t any answer.

There are no limitations on adding products in Magento.

Magento Community
Magento Community

egrovesystems

Total Posts:  36

Magento can handle approximately more than 3500 products.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sitewards

Untermainkai 30, 60329 Frankfurt am Main / Germany

We have a system running with around 40.000 products, which has absolutely no performance issues. So this is definitely not the end.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Online111

As far as I know there’s no limit in terms of the number of products Magento can handle.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Emmet1

In fact, it cannot to have exact number.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jpk.in

Total Posts:  160
Cochin, India

No problems about number of products.... Only matter is the Server , choose a good performance server.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community