Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Using with Joomla (not talking about integration here)

dax702

Total Posts:  77
las vegas, nv

Hello, since it doesn’t look like Magento and Joomla 1.0.x can work together as an integration (as of right now anyways), would it be possible to still use Magento with Joomla, but in a wrapper or something like that?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

dax702

las vegas, nv

bumpity bump bump

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mark_Kimsal

Total Posts:  186
Michigan, USA

Seriously, what are you talking about?

Magento Community
Magento Community

dax702

las vegas, nv

Oops, I read your signature and thought it was the reply. I PMd you… I want to use Magento with Joomla 1.0.x but since it is not an integrated component, would I have to just use a wrapper instead?

Magento Community
Magento Community

harry12bar

Total Posts:  168

Im a big user of joomla (1.12) The wrapper system is a powerful tool but the only irritation may be the separate login. Users need to be reminded of this. The magento skin or the joomla skin will needed to modified (thined out) so as to slot in nicely to the rest of your site.

Cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

dax702

las vegas, nv

Is it somehow possible that when someone registers in Joomla, that username and password could be duplicated in Magento so they could use the same login and password for both the CMS and shopping cart?  Then again, not everyone that registers in Joomla will be a buying customer. Hmm… Have you installed Magento into your site yet?

Magento Community
Magento Community

dax702

las vegas, nv

bump.........................

Magento Community
Magento Community

gabrielk

Total Posts:  83

Any real reason not to use Magento’s CMS?

That aside, why make it complicated?  Just port your design over to a Joomla skin or vise-versa.  Less trouble, less potential for error.

And I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to have synchronization between Joomla accounts and Magento accounts, but I wouldn’t expect to see any free community modules offering such for a while.

Magento Community
Magento Community

dax702

las vegas, nv

Yes, reason not to use Magento’s CMS is because I’m not a coder (at all) and am using many extensions for Joomla for things like photo gallery, video gallery, forms, helpdesk, guestbook and so on..

I don’t know what you mean by “port your design over to a joomla skin” ??

If it was possible to have one login and password for both Joomla 1.0.X and Magento, that would be great but don’t have a clue how to accomplish that or if it can be done?

Magento Community
Magento Community

bigodines

Total Posts:  27
Brazil

as said before.. using magento in a wrapper would required a template customization, otherwise your site it will look pretty ugly

Magento Community
Magento Community

kameko.rouge

Total Posts:  58

dax702 - 27 January 2008 10:27 AM

Is it somehow possible that when someone registers in Joomla, that username and password could be duplicated in Magento so they could use the same login and password for both the CMS and shopping cart?

uhh..so in other words you ARE talking about integration.

Magento Community
Magento Community

dax702

las vegas, nv

Hmm, well maybe I am talking about integration. But when I said “not talking about integration here) in the topic title, I was referring to Magento being an installable component like any other one. I didn’t realize that login sharing was considered advanced integration…

Magento Community
Magento Community

harry12bar

Total Posts:  168

Login integration is the biggest pain in cross platforming shopping carts, different algorithm setups, email address verses user name usage, these and god knows what else needs moving around… The simple act of placing magento in joomla ain t a problem… Also using modules to communicate with magento. It would be quite a feet of software engineering . It would be ideal for Magento to be installed as a componen,t as joomla is the dogs nads of CMS, I just dont think Magento wants to be dwarfed by the Might of joomla. Maybe a lite version in the future would be great. Magento is just far too independent (powerful) to be installed as a componnet. There will be too many conflicts.. Dont forget Magento is designed to function as a stand alone shopping cart Joomla Is a true stand alone CMS.
bigodines has made the first brave steps into this area by dealing with the login issue (not syncing) just allowing Magento users to to login to Joomla.  I think this is great and will be attempting to use his plugin with advised component. Great job bigodines

Bridging is the way, use RSS to view products in joomla and skin Magento too have the same look and feel…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tansau

Total Posts:  35
Heart of Dixie, USA

harry12bar - 26 February 2008 05:01 AM

Bridging is the way, use RSS to view products in joomla and skin Magento too have the same look and feel…

My thoughts exactly. I’m thinking that Magento will make a perfect commerce complement to Joomla-based sites. For the initial phase, I’m looking into what it will take to mirror templates between Joomla and Magento so that users will have the exact same look, feel and experience between sites. There’s a lot happening with the J1.5 bridges, so it’s probably only a matter of time until we get user sync between the systems. Product integration could possibly happen by pulling in Most Popular or other categories into a Joomla module via an RSS widget, etc.

Magento Community
Magento Community

cathyka

Total Posts:  62

harry12bar - 26 February 2008 05:01 AM

Login integration is the biggest pain in cross platforming shopping carts, different algorithm setups, email address verses user name usage, these and god knows what else needs moving around… The simple act of placing magento in joomla ain t a problem… Also using modules to communicate with magento. It would be quite a feet of software engineering . It would be ideal for Magento to be installed as a componen,t as joomla is the dogs nads of CMS, I just dont think Magento wants to be dwarfed by the Might of joomla. Maybe a lite version in the future would be great. Magento is just far too independent (powerful) to be installed as a componnet. There will be too many conflicts.. Dont forget Magento is designed to function as a stand alone shopping cart Joomla Is a true stand alone CMS.
bigodines has made the first brave steps into this area by dealing with the login issue (not syncing) just allowing Magento users to to login to Joomla.  I think this is great and will be attempting to use his plugin with advised component. Great job bigodines

So in your opinions, to have a seamless user interface, would it be best to design the magento skin/theme

a. as an exact duplicate of the joomla template, so when the “shop” is activated is jumps to the magento shop.

or

b. modified magento skin/theme that loads in a wrapper using the joomla template?

What about SSL? How do you avoid the secure/non-secure warnings that users could get? What is the best option? I know the wrapper would be much easier. At least in my case.

I hope my question is clear.  Thanks for you insights and bigondines, thanks for your work on dealing with the login issues. (unfortunately, I couldn’t get it to the point where I could help you beta test. I am still pretty new at this stuff)

Magento Community
Magento Community

TomC

Total Posts:  191

Tansau - 28 February 2008 07:09 AM

My thoughts exactly. I’m thinking that Magento will make a perfect commerce complement to Joomla-based sites. For the initial phase, I’m looking into what it will take to mirror templates between Joomla and Magento so that users will have the exact same look, feel and experience between sites. There’s a lot happening with the J1.5 bridges, so it’s probably only a matter of time until we get user sync between the systems. Product integration could possibly happen by pulling in Most Popular or other categories into a Joomla module via an RSS widget, etc.

I gotta tell you . .  . with each upgrade and feature(s) enhancement, I am chomping at the bit to try out Magento.

The ONLY thing holding me back is that I have invested a great deal of time, effort and energy into learning how to work with the Joomla CMA system - I’m even on the Support Team for one of the Joomla Template Clubs - and I am not prepared to abandon the extensive functionality and options available within/for Joomla for a system that is still somewhat limited in terms of it’s integration/extension capabilities.

Is there ANY word/update on the possibility of a bridge/fusion between Magento and Joomla?
It’s not even so much the structure itself as much as it is the user registration crossover between systems.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2