Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Upgrade from Magento EE 1.9.1 to Magento EE 1.12 extremely slow

nickcfl

Total Posts:  5

We are busy working on an upgrade of our site from Magento EE 1.9.1 to Magento EE 1.12.

We have taken a clean install of Magento EE 1.12 and pointed the local.xml to our existing db to see how the db upgrade process works.

This db upgrade process is extremely and painfully slow. We have now run it a few times and it runs for over 10 hours and it is still not complete.

The script is not hanging or failing as we have enabled debugging info and the various queries are being logged to var/debug/pdo_mysql.log.

What can we do to speed up this process? Granted our database is large, around 5gb, but this is unreasonable.

Or is there some other method of doing this that we should be looking at?

How can we take our site down for 10-12 hours when we actually go live with the new version?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

MagenX
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  791
Dublin

this is definitely something wrong,
what you mean by \"upgrading\" ? reindex ?
or update script.

share your mysql log, and settings.
5gb database - how many products you have?

just send me a message.

cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

nickcfl

Total Posts:  5

What I am referring to when I say “upgrade” is the Magento installer runs an upgrade process of the current database and drops indexes, add’s new fields, tables etc.

This process is what is taking hours and hours to complete.

I have sent you a PM, I really appreciate the help.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Vijay Sharma

Total Posts:  22

I recently working on Magento Upgrade 1.9.1.1 to 1.12 After all small problems i was able to do it successfully. I am still in the process of testing to verify everything working ok. Please let me know if you still struggling with Upgrade. I will send you steps how i did that.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Zambala

Total Posts:  2

I am also interest to know all the steps you took to upgrade your Magento Enterprise.
Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Vijay Sharma

Total Posts:  22

Before following up the steps please do it on dev environment first and if everything is fine then do on live server. Keep always backup of code archive and DB dump.

Here are the Steps:

- if you have Custom Theme and Custom Code/Third party extensions, Merge it with Out of Box Magento 1.12 Setup.
- Move files for Media, Skin, Js, app/etc/modules etc in New Setup.
- Change core_config_data values for baseurl and secure base url in existing database
- Remove foreign key conflicts with following commands:

delete from `catalog_category_product` WHERE product_id not in(select entity_id from catalog_product_entity);
delete from `catalog_category_product` WHERE category_id not in(select entity_id from catalog_category_entity);
delete from `catalog_product_website` WHERE product_id not in(select entity_id from catalog_product_entity);
delete from `catalog_product_entity_media_gallery` WHERE entity_id not in(select entity_id from catalog_product_entity);
delete from `catalog_product_index_eav_idx` WHERE entity_id not in(select entity_id from catalog_product_entity);
delete from `catalog_product_index_eav` WHERE entity_id not in(select entity_id from catalog_product_entity);
delete from `catalog_product_link` WHERE product_id not in(select entity_id from catalog_product_entity);
delete from `catalog_product_relation` WHERE parent_id not in(select entity_id from catalog_product_entity);
delete from wishlist where customer_id not in(select entity_id from customer_entity);

- Drop following tables to get rid of “Table already Exist” error:

drop table sales_order_status;
drop table sales_order_status_label;
drop table sales_order_status_state;
drop table importexport_importdata;
drop table wishlist_item_option;
drop table paypal_cert;
drop table xmlconnect_application;
drop table xmlconnect_config_data;
drop table xmlconnect_history;
drop table xmlconnect_notification_template;
drop table xmlconnect_queue;

- Change Permissions:
• chmod –R o+w media
• chmod o+w var var/.htaccess app/etc

- Modify app/etc/local.xml for Database configuration

Now run the setup and wait for few minutes (25-60 approx.)

- If everything goes ok then run patches if you have any
- Login to admin panel and perform reindexing (Admin Panel: System->Index Management)
- Refresh Cache from Admin Panel (Admin Panel: System -> Cache Management)

And that’s it. Upgraded version of Magento is ready to use smile. Good Luck!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community