Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Community Edition - Some questions for the brain trust

lilya1965

Total Posts:  15

Before I find a developer for a new e-commerce site I have some questions.

1. Can a Community Edition site be upgraded to Enterprise and or Go without any problems once the site grows and the funds flow?

2. Can Community Edition offer the following features; Dynamic pricing, (based on either IP address of customer or pre-programmed in the back-end), an extra field in the checkout for PayPal fee, 1-Click shopping, upselling feature where if a set total is reach one offers a discount and or free shipping?

3. Fedex, DHL, TNT itegration?

4. Facebook, Twitter integration

Thank you.

David

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

tzyganu
Mentor

Total Posts:  2205
Bucharest, Romania

Hello.
Here are my answers to your issue. Some of them you may not like.
1. Yes. Magento CE can be upgrader to EE. I’ve done it. It takes a little work but its possible. I don’t know if you can move to Magento GO. I don’t have much experience with it (actually none).
2. Dynamic pricing is not possible in the way that you want, but you can still have different prices per customer group and/or qty purchased.
You can set a paypal fee, different types of discounts (even the one you need), and free shipping over some order amount. I don’t know what 1 click shopping is.
3. Fedex adn DHL integration is already in the core. For TNT there must be an extension.
4. For facebook and twitter integration there are a lot of free and paid extension. Too many I think smile

Cheers,
Marius.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lilya1965

Hi Marius,

No, your answers are just fine, thank you for taking the time to reply.

I’m no code writer but just trying to do a little research before I put my e-commerce site build project out there for quotes.

Regards the dynamic pricing. I’m not sure if this is the correct technical term.

Basically, it works like this. Based on the number of accepted currencies on the site (currently GB Pounds, USD & EUR at www.transmittersrus.com) the appropriate pricing shows based on the visitors IP address, so for example anyone outside the UK or Euroland will be class as ROW (rest of the world) and see pricing in USD.

Of course this does no necessarily work if visiting the site through a proxy server but this is rare I’m sure.

I don’t know the difference between Magento Enterprise & GO but at present funds are tight due to the current state of the economy so I thought I’d see how far I could go with the Community package.

Really I suppose I should be asking this question to the developers out there.

Thanks again.

Lilya

Magento Community
Magento Community

tzyganu
Mentor

Total Posts:  2205
Bucharest, Romania

Hey good news. If by dynamic pricing you mean prices in different currencies then the answer is yes. Magento supports that.
You can go far with only Magneto Community. There are a lot of sites on Magento CE that are doing OK.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lilya1965

Hi Marius,

Thanks again.

I’ll put my project requirements together before I post a project up for grabs.

Thank you again.

Magento Community
Magento Community

inwebservices

Total Posts:  29

Lilya, I believe tzyganu has answered most of the questions.

Go is a simplified hosted version and likely will not have the flexibility that you require, Enterprise would be to much, we would suggest to start with CE and when the site starts to grow you can always upgrade.

Regarding pricing, we have integrated IP2Location (there are many others) and you can set the currency based on the country on the first visit to the site.  The pricing is generally dynamic and will convert based on the selected currencies available for the website or store, or in your case on first load.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community