Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Is Magento only for eCommerce or…? 

htoorenz

Total Posts:  2

Hi all,

For starters, I’m a beginner at Magento and I’m planning to sell not more than 50-100 or so items in total. Fort that, I need to make a webshop.

In addition to that, I’m also planning to make a regular website. My questions are:

1. Is Magento too big, too ‘heavy’ to carry only a few items? Is it a ‘too much’ eCommerce-tool for a limited # of items?
2. Can you develop a regular CSM-controlled website with Magento too? Or is it better to use something like Drupal with a webshop-extension instead in my situiation?

Kind regards,
HT

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

inwebservices

Total Posts:  29

Magento is best of class however it is a technical based product so the return on investment can be high, it sounds like you would be better with WordPress plus WPEC, Drupal or something similar.  These are more business/user orientated carts and easier to manage on you own.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brynnae

Total Posts:  36
California

I think every store is small initially and after time goes it become huge so I think you don’t face such kind of problem.

And for your regular website, if your website is static then you should go for Wordpress development as it has many advantages related to marketing.

Magento Community
Magento Community

altimaweb

Total Posts:  11
Melbourne, Australia

It depends on how happy your with functionality of alternative solutions.

Magento contains a lot of functions available out-of-the-box and tons of free and paid extensions.

It is hard to advise without full knowledge of your concrete situation, but I wouldn\’t use Magento as a solution for CMS site. There are better alternatives around, Magento is mainly shopping cart, while you can create some content pages of cause.

Magento Community
Magento Community

htoorenz

Total Posts:  2

Hi guys, thanks for your answers.

My website is not static; it is updated daily, litterally. I agree Magento isn’t exactly the solution for a CMS-based, dynamic website, but I would like to combine both my dynamic website ánd my webshop into one solution. When I do decide to make use of Magento as a website CMS as well, is it wise to make two root categories?

HT

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community