Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento 1.7 is not using theme’s local.xml

Blackthorn87

Total Posts:  5

Hey Guys,

Sorry I wasn’t sure where to put this, so I placed it here as it’s to do with theming.

I’ve been struggling with using my local.xml file in Magento 1.7.

I have made some changes to the layout in my local.xml (app/design/frontend/default/theme/layout/local.xml), but magento doesn’t seem to be picking up the local.xml file.

So I tested this theory by copying the checkout.xml from the base folder into my theme folder and making the changes I required there; my changes were to checkout related elements. Once I uploaded this to my theme all my edits worked instantly.

I was wandering if anyone else was having this same / similar problem, if so could you tell me how you fixed it? I tried looking on the web searching for terms such as ‘Magento 1.7 local.xml’, ‘Magento 1.7 not using layout local.xml’, etc. but it didn’t return any thing related to my problem.

Thanks in advance,

Arun.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

tb1silkmatthew

Total Posts:  3

bump.

Does anyone have a solution to this yet as I am also having the same issues.

Thanks

Matt

Magento Community
Magento Community

nwidesigns

Total Posts:  4

Looks like you are finding out as I have that regardless of what they say “The Magento community is strong and very helpful”, that this community is in fact not at all helpful.

Did you ever find a solution for this or are you still on the hunt? One thing I have read that may or may not answer your question is that Magento has a heracy that it follows when looking for the files. It will first look in the active template and if it does not find what it needs it will continue on down the file structure until it finds the file it needs and then the search is terminated. So in your case Magento did not find the checkout.xml file until it got to the base file. I am still very green with this so I may be completely off with this so please don’t take this as a solution. So if I read your problem right and taking from what I am learning I would say that you need to take the base file “checkout.xml” and copy it to the right location in your active template and see if it does not access it from there rather than going to the base file.

What is driving me mad is searching for anything related to Magento 1.7 is near impossible and even the Magento help files are out of date and do not go very far helping to work with 1.7.

I think part of what is making support fail here is that even though we had to register to reply we are still not trusted and have to fill out the Captacha to post. Want to edit your post, well fill out yet another Captacha (what a JOKE!)That is a turnoff and may be a factor in why so many posts are going unanswered.

Magento Community
Magento Community

shaun8line

Total Posts:  6

Having the same problem. So far I haven’t found a way to make effective changes to the layout. Everything I’ve tried to modify the layout has either had no effect or just broken something. I’ve tried following tutorials from the Designer’s Guide in Magento’s Documentation, Magento 1.4 Theme Design and Mastering Magento(both from Packt Publishing).

Here’s the code I’m trying out:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<layout>
    <default>
        <
reference name="head">
            <
action method="addCss">
                <
stylesheet>css/local.css</stylesheet>
            </
action>
        </
reference>
        <
reference name="root">
            <
action method="setTemplate">
                <
template>page/2columns-right.phtml</template>
            </
action>
            <!--
mark root page block that template is applied-->
            <
action method="setIsHandle">
                <
applied>1</applied>
            </
action>
        <
remove name="left.permanent.callout"/>
        <
remove name="right.permanent.callout"/>
        <
remove name="paypal.partner.right.logo"/>
    </default>
</
layout>

The only thing I’m expecting from this code is to remove the callouts and paypal logo, neither of which happened. This xml file is located in magento\app\design\frontend\default\m2\layout and there’s a css file in magento\skin\frontend\default\m2\css

Also from the Magento documentation, I tried moving the shopping cart to the other column, which failed. When I tried renaming the reference like it suggested, it just disappeared. Then I tried moving something from the left column to the right, and it ended up getting duplicated.

My cache has been flushed and disabled from the backend cache management tab. I’ve tried setting both ‘default config’ and ‘main website’ themes default and layout fields to m2(the name that matches the folder of this theme).

I realize I may be running into version issues with the books from Packt, but I haven’t found up-to-date theme design tutorials anywhere. I’ll try the same kind of changes on version 1.6.2 and see how that goes. If anyone has more input it would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: Showed it to a friend and he found my problems right away. If a moderator wants to remove this post go ahead. But just in case anyone else is running into similar problems, make sure the XML is valid by running it through an xml validator like w3schools. My problem was I forgot a closing tag

Also was having issues with some of the sample data appearing in the content block rather than being dynamically input through the layout. So I was trying to remove something from columns that weren’t there.

Only thing to do now is figure out how to get it running locally. But that’s a question for another thread.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mellan

Total Posts:  1

This is pretty ridiculous. I too am having the same exact problem. I’ve followed about 6 various theme tutorials including 2 from the magento docs and no matter what I do, I cant impact the default layout. I’ve been at it for about 3 hours straight and what should be a quick setting, has become a nightmare.

Magento Community
Magento Community

briandesp

Total Posts:  18

For anyone else having problems with this.. Super annoying, but copying and pasting the code from the magento help files left some extra spaces infront of <?xml version="1.0"?>.. basically i used a xml validator and it let me know that the markup was invalid.. i was like what in the world all i did was copy and paste.. but then i removed the spaces in front and now everything works great.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Zettt

Total Posts:  9

I had the same problem until i cleaned my browser cache before reloading the page. Maybe it will help you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

eduardomendonca

It worked for me after I flushed all caches from Admin Panel: System > Cache Management.

Magento Community
Magento Community

dimgiou

same problem here.
everything was fine in local.xml file but could not load a custom.css file ( the blocks where succesfull removed)

i tried the xml validator and the xml had an error (it was not obvious with naked eye)

i wrote the xml again from begining and magicaly it worked

Magento Community
Magento Community

VectorVortec

Briandesp, Thanks for the help. I made exactly the same mistake of cutting and pasting from the guide and the opening XML tag had a space. I removed the space, and it worked.

Magento Community
Magento Community

alexbab

Total Posts:  8

Hello,

I was struggling with the same problem...So what happens is that if your xml file has something wrong such as spaces before the first line or an unclosed node, Magento will just ignore the local.xml file.

If you want to debug your file then I recommend turning on developer mode by adding

SetEnv MAGE_IS_DEVELOPER_MODE in the .htaccess file in magento root.

with developer mode on a wrong local.xml file will throw an exception and your page will not load.

regards

Alex

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community