Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How to Upgrade from Magento 1.5.x to Magento 1.7.x

mallamace

Total Posts:  3

I’ve searched high-and-low for a STEP-BY-STEP guide to upgrading my version of Magento 1.5.x. It seems nothing exists, I come from the Joomla world of upgrades which is pretty much copy/paste over your files with the most recent version. It seems Magento is a little more complex than that. I’ve seen some instructions on using SSH, but again nothing for 1.5.x to 1.7.x.

Also I have a few other related Magento Upgrade questions.

Do I need to upgrade using SSH? What if I don’t have SSH enabled on my server?
What else is affected when I upgrade (e.g. installed packages, installed templates) ? What are the best practices or things I should plan for to making sure everything gets upgraded?
What happens if I don’t upgrade the extensions? Will I get errors, will Magento crash?
Is there anything else that I need to plan before or when upgrading.

I assume a tutorial might cover most of this, but like I said. I haven’t seen a clear step-by-step.

Thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Brent W Peterson

Total Posts:  3217
Minneapolis MN

Here is a step by step guide to a good upgrade

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/1_-_installation_and_configuration/manual_upgrade_using_fresh_install_and_original_database?do=show

Let me know if you have any additional questions

Magento Community
Magento Community

wpnfancy

Total Posts:  21

I looked at the recommended upgrade instructions in the previous link. 

It’s all a foreign language, whatever happened to simple instructions for simple people, we are not all developers, some of us are just mere mortals.  I was lost on the first instruction.

Getting up and running the first time with 1.5 version was a challenge, but I learnt as I went along with nothing to lose as I already had another site running, now it all makes 85% sense, but this gobbledegook is just too much.  Now Magento is my only site which I can’t screw up whilst I brave the changes, it’s like attempting to climb everest in flip flops.  I want to upgrade, but to me an Apache wears a feather headpiece and sends smoke signals, a static block is an obstacle when playing tetris is and a dump is somewhere I take my rubbish on a weekend.

Come on guys, there has to be a simpletons guide somewhere!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Danowah

Total Posts:  6
Brisbane

Hi Wpnfancy,

That tutorial mentioned above would actually be fine for most web developers.  It’s the quickest and easiest way for most of us to do things…

I don’t use SSH (Google it!!) but still know I need to backup my database and all files from the ‘media’ folder (inside the root directory of your Magento installation).  Then you need to copy the local.xml from app > etc > local.xml (this stores all your connection info for the database, etc).  Then you remove all of the Mage 1.5 files and upload the 1.7 ones over the top. 

Let it be noted that I have never upgraded before (mostly because I’ve been using 1.6 and dont have the time right now).  But the theory is the same.  As long as you have backed up your database through PhpMyAdmin (through cpanel) or inside the administration section, you have a complete backup of the media folder and the local.xml file you can move servers, reinstall and upgrade.  There may be some small things you need to fix up in your theme (that’s if you use one) because of the upgrade but otherwise (theoretically) it should work.

An important note though, and what i’ve pulled my hair out a couple of times for and realised a bit later on is you always, always, always need to clear your browser history, the cache inside magento and even session information (inside /var/session and /var/cache ) when you move sites, upgrade or whatever.  Then the database will reconfigure itself.

If the above makes no sense to you what so ever, then you need to use WordPress instead.  Magento isn’t for the home / hobby user…

Feel free to correct me if i’m wrong people.

Magento Community
Magento Community

wpnfancy

Total Posts:  21

That’s more like it - sounds a lot less flapping about - I think I can just about follow that without going bald.

Thank you for your help, I’m going to try it that way but before I do if anyone else wants to jump in with anything else please do before I take the plunge please do.

Once again,help appreciated

Magento Community
Magento Community

klut

Total Posts:  20

Trying to upgrade to 1.7 from 1.5 with a fresh install and get the following error during the install after entering the database details page. any ideas?

Cheers Pete

Error in file: “/home2/klutcom1/public_html/mag17/app/code/core/Mage/Customer/sql/customer_setup/mysql4-upgrade-1.5.9.9-1.6.0.0.php” - SQLSTATE[23000]: Integrity constraint violation: 1062 Duplicate entry ‘0-161’ for key 2

Trace:
#0 /home2/klutcom1/public_html/mag17/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(645): Mage::exception(’Mage_Core’, ‘Error in file: ...’)
#1 /home2/klutcom1/public_html/mag17/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(437): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->_modifyResourceDb(’upgrade’, ‘1.4.0.0.14’, ‘1.6.2.0.1’)
#2 /home2/klutcom1/public_html/mag17/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(320): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->_upgradeResourceDb(’1.4.0.0.14’, ‘1.6.2.0.1’)
#3 /home2/klutcom1/public_html/mag17/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(235): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->applyUpdates()
#4 /home2/klutcom1/public_html/mag17/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(417): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup::applyAllUpdates()
#5 /home2/klutcom1/public_html/mag17/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(343): Mage_Core_Model_App->_initModules()
#6 /home2/klutcom1/public_html/mag17/app/Mage.php(683): Mage_Core_Model_App->run(Array)
#7 /home2/klutcom1/public_html/mag17/index.php(87): Mage::run(’’, ‘store’)
#8 {main}

Magento Community
Magento Community

dumu

China

Thank for your great help, upgraded.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mallamace

Brent W Peterson - 14 May 2012 03:50 AM

Here is a step by step guide to a good upgrade

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/1_-_installation_and_configuration/manual_upgrade_using_fresh_install_and_original_database?do=show

Let me know if you have any additional questions

Thank you Brent for your article!

From what I read all I need to do is first, backup and second, upgrade the Magento database.

I do have a few questions.
1. How does upgrading a database upgrade Magento?
2. Where are the database files located?
3. How does this article relate to updating Magento 1.5.x and 1.7.x?

Furthermore, I’m on a shared server.
So I assume making sure my server is configured properly is not necessary.

Magento Community
Magento Community

aaronwallace

Total Posts:  59

Step by Step guide :

http://www.expertmagentodevelopers.com/blog/magento-tutorial-how-to-upgrade-magento-1-6-to-1-7-via-ftp/

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

gonzela2006

Total Posts:  31

Hi All,

I’ve tried many and many upgrade methods and finally I found this method which worked great with me
http://phpmysqltalk.com/1746-magento-the-best-solution-to-ugrade-magento-from-1-5-x-x-1-7-x-x.html

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

johnbullac

Total Posts:  17

I was looking for some step by step tutorials at stackoverflow and magento commerce to upgrade Magento, but they are too complicated , and I am not sure in my technical skills and am warring about my store functionality after such experiments.  Won’t do that manually, since it would take weeks if not months, plus won’t be sure to check all the info while moving it into the store.  I will try to upgrade Magento with cart2cart. I have heard about this tool before, but I thought it can only migrate from one shopping cart to another.
Store owners give cart2cart positive feedback.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community