Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Trying to understand index management

Sofasurfer

Total Posts:  14

Hi fellow sufferers!

I have a couple of questions about Magento’s index management to get a better understanding of how it’s supposed to work.

We are running Magento CE 1.6.1.0 and today our customer was complaining about items not showing in the search results. I solved the issue by re-indexing the “Product Attributes” index and the “Catalog Search” index.

However, this happend before and there are a couple of things bugging me about this:

All our indices are set to ”Update on save” and all indices were marked as Ready. Shouldn’t Magento reindex automatically once a product is saved?
Or asked more broadly: What is the difference between ”Update on save” and ”Manual update”?

On a couple of occasions I had to reindex manually to make the layered navigation or advanced search work again properly. I assume one or more indices were probably not up-to-date (or damaged?) but Magento had not changed the status of the index to make the store manager aware of it.

I can’t imagine this to be normal behaviour. How are you supposed to run a shop properly with this happening?

(Then again, this would not be the first time I find Magento to behave oddly.)

Thanks and cheers
Sofasurfer

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community