Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Severe problem with “Module Creator” - admin site PHP error after using it

conticreative

Total Posts:  38

I am learning magento as I develop a site for an existing client (I develop in other carts and we agreed to take a chance on this one).

Yesterday I found the “Magento Module Creator” in the WIKI and I gave it a spin.
After creating a module as per instructions, I can no longer see the administration area, save for the banner and this error message:

Parse errorsyntax errorunexpected '.'expecting '{' in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/magento/app/code/local/domain.com/Test/Helper/Data.php on line 3

Upon going to the file in question, I tired several things. Deleting the code produced another error. So I decided to unistall the module (Module creator has an uninstaller as a new feature).
However, after running the uninstaller, the error I see is as follows:

Fatal error: Class 'domain.com_Test_Helper_Data' not found in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php on line 814

So then I installed the same module again (I kept track of the entries) and the previous error popped up again.

Module creator generates a list of affected/created files. I thought of backing up and going to delete/restore the filesystem as it was before I installed the test module.

Anyone with a better idea? Am I missing something obvious?

Thank you.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

somesid

Total Posts:  83

Your problem probably come from the fact your using domain.com, you shouldn’t use anything else than letters in your company and module name.

To delete the whole module don’t forget app\etc\modules\Company_Module.xml (the uninstall probably failed ‘cause you used bad characters / case in your names).

Magento Community
Magento Community

conticreative

Thank you, I’ll try that. The instructions pointed out not to use an underscore, but they never mentioned not alpha characters.

Thank you also for the extra file you mentioned. Does the module create any database entries as well? If so, where?

Magento Community
Magento Community

conticreative

By the way, I was ab;le to turn off the module in the administration (and I found a way to do it in the XML file as well ). Now the error no longer appears, but other things are going wrong that I am not sure if they are related or not.

Since the module installation, my client tells me that on every browser he tries he is unable to see the category list in the product manager. It’s just not there for him. I can see it just fine no matter what browser I use.

In addition, there are a couple of products that were assigned to two categories but the client decided to show them in a single category only. So he unchecked the boxes for the extra category but the products refuse to go away from the deactivated category. They still show up in both.

I have cleaned the cache, I have even deleted the cache from the file system several times, but those products still show up in both categories (subcategories really).

I don;t see how this issue could be related to the module creator, but by now I sort of lost my faith in Magento as a whole. I keep seeing lot’s of problems like these ones.

Thank you.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community