Magento Forum

Page 1 of 3
Added EU VAT ID validation service integration

EGrasso

Total Posts:  12

From the 1.7 magento community release notes I read this: Added EU VAT ID validation service integration . Point is I didn’t understand how does it work. Can you help me ? I enjoyed the new 1.7 magento configuration and wonder if I can use this feature to improve my business.

Thanks for reply

Eugenio

EDIT:
ok it works like this: System/Config/[Costumer]/Costumer config then Enable Automatic Assignment to Customer Group to YES and just go on with further steps..

what looks critical is EU VAT ID validation service: in the backend sys/conf/general/gen.info doesent validate mine :(((
what about yours?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Peter Svegrup

Total Posts:  23

Hi Eugenio,

I just installed and tested some feats in 1.7, one of them the vat validation. I activated it on the backend with what I think was all the correct settings and then went on to add myself as a customer in the frontend but the validation failed on my own vat id.

Did you get it to work? A googleing doesn’t return any results wheather it’s working or not.

Cheers

Peter

Magento Community
Magento Community

EGrasso

Hello Peter,

thanks for your kind reply.

No, I didn’t find a way to make it work properly. And Yes google doesn’t help.
Maybe it would be useful to post here the procedure that you followed to try to make it work. As a first step we can work on it.

Cheers!

Eugenio

Magento Community
Magento Community

Peter Svegrup

Hi Eugenio,

Check this link and download the new user guide for CE 1.7 - it has a section on configuring vat validation.

http://www.magentocommerce.com/resources/magento-user-guide

Cheers

Peter

Magento Community
Magento Community

kelvinkuil

Total Posts:  1

Hi Eugenio and Peter,

I just inserted my own VAT number in System/General/Store information, however Magento tells me my VAT number is invalid.

When I double check my number on the EU website as mentioned in the user guide (http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/vies/vatRequest.html), it confirms my VAT number is valid.

Did you have the same problem and/or a solution?

Regards,

Kelvin

Magento Community
Magento Community

EGrasso

Hello Kelvin,

YES - same problem here.
I\’m working on it \’;..;\’

Thank you

Eugenio

Magento Community
Magento Community

Peter Svegrup

Hey guys,

See my post above and download the new User Guide that has a section on how you need to configure your store for the vat validation to work.

I had the same “problem” with my vat no validating fine on the VIES site but within the store environment you also need to make a bunch of configuration for the validation to work in this context. This is why you get the message ‘Invalid’.

I haven’t been through the process yet so any successes / obstacles would be good to know about.

Cheerio

Peter S

Magento Community
Magento Community

Urme

Total Posts:  8

I’m trying to get the validation of vat numbers working, but it doesn’t. Whatever I type in the VAT number textfield, I get “Validation failed” in the customer address settings. It doesn’t even validate my own VAT number that I’m trying to save in System->Config->General->General->Store info.

When I’m using one page checkout and buying as a guest, it doesn’t even try to validate the VAT number, it just send the order with Tax.

I’ve read the user guide, and followed each step.

Can’t figure out why this doesn’t work…

Magento Community
Magento Community

EGrasso

SORRY - no solution found.

I post my tax rates as an example. Did you write them in the same way ?

Note: I\’m italian.

Thanks
Eugenio

File Attachments
tax_rates.zip  (File Size: 1KB - Downloads: 234)

Magento Community
Magento Community

furnitureforyoultd
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  833

If you’re having trouble getting your VAT number in Store Information validated make sure that you have php-soap on your server, otherwise validation will fail because it won’t communicate with the validation service

Magento Community
Magento Community

geissweb

Total Posts:  13

Hi,

if you need this problem solved quickly, my EU VAT Extension works now with 1.7 too: http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/site-management/taxes/eu-vat-grouper.html

You also possibly like the ajax validation at the frontend for your customers and the fact that is working quite good on over hundred installations.

Best regards,
Sven

Magento Community
Magento Community

Urme

furnitureforyoultd - 09 June 2012 10:40 AM

If you’re having trouble getting your VAT number in Store Information validated make sure that you have php-soap on your server, otherwise validation will fail because it won’t communicate with the validation service

I have SOAP on my server.

Soap Client enabled
Soap Server enabled

Directive Local Value Master Value
soap.wsdl_cache 1 1
soap.wsdl_cache_dir /tmp /tmp
soap.wsdl_cache_enabled 1 1
soap.wsdl_cache_limit 5 5
soap.wsdl_cache_ttl 86400 86400

The validation front-end for my customers doesn’t even try to validate the VAT numbers, no message or anything. But back-end when I push “Validate”, I get “Not valid” every time. But I know these numbers are valid indeed.

Magento Community
Magento Community

pfmag

Total Posts:  1

Urme - 11 June 2012 09:08 PM

But back-end when I push “Validate”, I get “Not valid” every time. But I know these numbers are valid indeed.

Make sure that “VAT Number” field contains just numbers without country code which is taken directly from “Country” field. It works for me now.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Urme

pfmag - 13 June 2012 04:04 AM

Urme - 11 June 2012 09:08 PM
But back-end when I push “Validate”, I get “Not valid” every time. But I know these numbers are valid indeed.

Make sure that “VAT Number” field contains just numbers without country code which is taken directly from “Country” field. It works for me now.

I’m typing it without the country code, but it still doesn’t validate. It validates fine when I’m using http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/vies/vatRequest.html. My head explodes soon if I can’t get this solved :(

Magento Community
Magento Community

furnitureforyoultd
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  833

are there any errors in exception.log or system.log? turn logging on if not already done, try to validate and see if any errrors log

Magento Community
Magento Community

Urme

I’ve turned on logging but nothing is logged when I try to validate the VAT number.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 3