Total Posts: 10
I was able to successfully upgrade from 1.6.1 to 1.7.0 using Magento Connect Manager.
Here are the steps I followed, I apologize if I leave something out, I am going off of memory at this point. This was what I had to do to go from 1.6.1 to 1.7.0, the steps may be a bit different based on your installation and what extensions you have.
1. Go to http://yourdomain.com/magento/downloader/ (of course, make this match your installation’s path.
2. Because I had installed Magento using tar.gz package provided with a skin I wanted to use, Magento Connect didn’t have all the extensions listed for upgrading. I had to type “connect20.magentocommerce.com/community/Mage_All_Latest” in the “Install New Extensions / Paste extension key to install”
3. If you run into an error along the lines of “CONNECT ERROR: Package ‘Mage_All_Latest’ is invalid” repeated several times, once for each package, it is because the files already exist, and you have to remove a line of code in order for it to over-write data. Follow the instructions in this post to fix that. I would comment it out rather than delete the lines though.
4. After everything has updated, you will probably have some errors. Make sure you clean the cache and session directories (delete everything in /var/cache and /var/session)
5. If you receive a “500 Internal Server Error” it is more than likely because of file and folder permissions. Follow the instructions on this wiki. The simplest method on there, and the way I achieve success was to download the “Magento Cleanup Tool” and run it. It took .5 sec to reset all of the permissions to what they needed to be.
6. If you receive a “Service Temporarily Unavailable The server is temporarily unable to service your request” error on a Magento formatted header, it is probably because the store is set to offline mode to prevent visitors from screwing up the installation process. To fix this, delete the “maintenance.flag” file found in the root of your magento installation directory.
7. Everything should be good to go!
I hope this helps somebody out, because I went into this blindly and was expecting to screw everything up, but after searching for solutions to every issue I ran into along the way, I arrived at a working installation of 1.7.0!
I can’t say that it was completely without issues. Here is what I have experienced so far:
* Haven’t found out how to see/ set the mobile skin to the new HTML5 version, I can only set it to the OLD mobile skin.