Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

1.7 Backup Issue

kabel

Total Posts:  68
UNL, Lincoln, NE

The Magento CE 1.7 stable release has been made, but there are still some issues with the “new” backup/rollback feature that was announced.

For those who want to reference the bug, internally, it is MCACE-132. Basically, the backup process fails for snapshot or media backups if the read permissions are not correctly set.

A patch is available at https://raw.github.com/gist/2484013/64886223771e109b85c727abb8dc4b6b309fee09/mage_backup_1.7.patch that fixes the issue for folders that should have been ignored.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

lukebranch

Total Posts:  5

Thanks for posting this, i’ve only been using magento for awhile and i’m not actually sure how I would go about applying the patch to fix the database backup/rollback feature in Magento CE 1.7. I’ve done a bit of looking around and I can’t seem to find an answer.

From my brief experience with Magento, it can be a little temperamental so a rollback feature would help give a little peace of mind.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kabel

Total Posts:  68
UNL, Lincoln, NE

For information about how to apply source code patches, please review http://linux.die.net/man/1/patch

Magento Community
Magento Community

evaneekelen

Total Posts:  2

This is unfortunately still an issue in 1.7.0.2.
It only happens for system backups (not for the database ones)

The best way around it (except for the patch, that’s too technical for me), that I’ve found:
- to have magento-cleanup.php ready in your main directory: (http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/groups/227/resetting_file_permissions)
- do the backup,
- let the error occur happen
- chmod the magento-cleanup.php file to 755 (use Filezilla or other FTP program)
- run the cleanup file (by browsing to it in your browser)

This will fix all issues and bring your store (backend and frontend) up online again.
Still,l it’s unfortunate that the fix wasn’t included in 1.7.0.2, let’s hope it will go in the next one.

P.S.
You would expect that magento-cleanup.php sets all your files correctly so the issue wouldn’t occur in the first place. Too bad: for me it still gives the same error when doing the backup

Magento Community
Magento Community

tmcdesign

I have the mentioned patch installed but makes no difference. I can make backups of db but not system.
Sure bringing your site back is great using the cleanup script but then you still haven’t completed what you set out to do, in this case take a backup of the system!
Anyone have a different solution to this problem ???

Magento Community
Magento Community

evaneekelen

TMCDesign, it actually does do the backup, at least it does for me.
It seems to screw up the permissions after it has done the backup.

After you’ve fixed the website, go to the backup manager in your Magento backend, and check your backups. The system backup should sit there waiting for you to download.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community