Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Magento 1.6.2 to 1.7 upgrade

amro81

Total Posts:  7

Hello all together,

after several hours of fruitless searching, I regret to ask the question here in the forum and hope someone could help me.

I want to update a Magento store from 1.6.2 to 1.7. The new version has been released today.

Does anyone happen to know how you could do that?

Thanks in advance.

Amro

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Username Taken

Total Posts:  10

I second that. I haven’t seen any data, and am unsure when it will be released to quick / simple scripts, etc. and wanted to manually upgrade my 1.6.20 which I just built the past 2 weeks! :(

Anyway, is there an easy way to upgrade?

Magento Community
Magento Community

kabel

Total Posts:  68
UNL, Lincoln, NE

There are many community resources that describe the “typical” upgrade path. Look through the links at https://www.google.com/search?source=ig&q;=upgrade+site:magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base#hl=en&sclient;=psy-ab&q;=upgrade+site:magentocommerce.com/wiki&oq;=upgrade+site:magentocommerce.com/wiki&aq;=f&aqi;=&aql;=&gs;_nf=1&gs;_l=serp.3...26037.26425.0.26568.4.4.0.0.0.0.88.321.4.4.0.21Vsr6PGmaQ&pbx;=1&bav;=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp;=fa26e36cff8eb195

Unfortunately, many of the upgrade paths don’t guarantee absolute success. One of the “better” guides is at http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/1_-_installation_and_configuration/installing_magento_via_shell_ssh
It has links to more information about upgrades.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MagenX
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  791
Dublin

we used old and tested magento upgrade guide.
all works good.
remember - do upgrade on your local or test server first!

cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

TimmoB

Total Posts:  2

Hi All,

I\’ve just upgraded to the new 1.7 version, and it seems to have killed everything:

http://www.thedigitalroom.co.uk/magento

The admin panel just shows a blank page.

My how I am laughing, just spent 5 days getting 1.6.2 to install, now need to start again.

Oh for you info, I upgraded via the Magento connect manager, all the upgrades were listed there so I simply clicked on upgrade.

Nice.

Can anyone suggest a remedy or should I just delete it and start over.

Timmo.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brynnae

Total Posts:  36
California

I would like to suggest one resource, if you really want to update your Magento Store. But before updating do take a backup of Magento Store and then update. Here is the link to update Magento store. http://websitedesigncompany.edublogs.org/2012/04/25/magento-modules-and-extensions-how-to-install-and-update/

Magento Community
Magento Community

Username Taken

There is not much good information out there. I have a simple question, for those “in the know” who don’t mind answering this question for those of us that have pretty much built carts, and moved on (not responsible for upgrading/updating).

Question: Do we use Magento Connect to update Magento from 1.6.20 to 1.7?

Is that all we should be doing rather than wasting time looking for a way to upgrade? I have not found much information about this, and the info I have found is confusing and over reaching.

Magento Community
Magento Community

gbcecil

Total Posts:  2
Branson, Missouri

Same question as above.  I am upgrading http://www.santblanc.com from 1.6 to 1.7.  Should I use the connect?  Is there anything I need to do with the custom files?  Also, I am having a problem with the pages jumping to the right: 
example page here:  http://www.santblanc.com/watches.html

I’m sure it is css but i have tried everything that I know to fix the issue.

Magento Community
Magento Community

joeymad

I was able to successfully upgrade from 1.6.1 to 1.7.0 using Magento Connect Manager.

Here are the steps I followed, I apologize if I leave something out, I am going off of memory at this point. This was what I had to do to go from 1.6.1 to 1.7.0, the steps may be a bit different based on your installation and what extensions you have.

1. Go to http://yourdomain.com/magento/downloader/ (of course, make this match your installation’s path.
2. Because I had installed Magento using tar.gz package provided with a skin I wanted to use, Magento Connect didn’t have all the extensions listed for upgrading. I had to type “connect20.magentocommerce.com/community/Mage_All_Latest” in the “Install New Extensions / Paste extension key to install”
3. If you run into an error along the lines of “CONNECT ERROR: Package ‘Mage_All_Latest’ is invalid” repeated several times, once for each package, it is because the files already exist, and you have to remove a line of code in order for it to over-write data. Follow the instructions in this post to fix that. I would comment it out rather than delete the lines though.
4. After everything has updated, you will probably have some errors. Make sure you clean the cache and session directories (delete everything in /var/cache and /var/session)
5. If you receive a “500 Internal Server Error” it is more than likely because of file and folder permissions. Follow the instructions on this wiki. The simplest method on there, and the way I achieve success was to download the “Magento Cleanup Tool” and run it. It took .5 sec to reset all of the permissions to what they needed to be.
6. If you receive a “Service Temporarily Unavailable The server is temporarily unable to service your request” error on a Magento formatted header, it is probably because the store is set to offline mode to prevent visitors from screwing up the installation process. To fix this, delete the “maintenance.flag” file found in the root of your magento installation directory.
7. Everything should be good to go!

I hope this helps somebody out, because I went into this blindly and was expecting to screw everything up, but after searching for solutions to every issue I ran into along the way, I arrived at a working installation of 1.7.0!

EDIT: I can’t say that it was completely without errors. Here is what I have experienced so far:
* Haven’t found out how to see/ set the mobile skin to the new HTML5 version
* Buttons in backend have 3 icons instead of 1 (see image)

Magento Community
Magento Community

Major_Tom

Total Posts:  1

Hi,

I’ve gort the same issue as you joeymad. Did you figured it out? (about the 3 icons)

Laurent

Magento Community
Magento Community

joeymad

Major_Tom - 02 May 2012 03:44 AM

Hi,

I’ve gort the same issue as you joeymad. Did you figured it out? (about the 3 icons)

Laurent

It seemed to work itself out. Maybe it was a browser cache issue or something, but I haven’t changed anything and it no longer has 3 icons.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tipofloe

Total Posts:  23

I too used the Magento Downloader to upgrade from 1.6.2 to 1.7.0.  What a difference it made from my last upgrade to 1.6.2!!

Anyways, a few errors, including the triple icon buttons. 

My website showed blank, my backend showed blank. 

All I had to do was to change all the file permissions back to 644, and clear the cache and the sessions. 

You will notice that a lot of files are set to 666 after the upgrade.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jbuckpa

Total Posts:  1

I just upgrade from 1.6.2 to 1.7.  Flawlessly.

I followed the above instructions...specifically

1.  Using the Download Connection Manager to upgrade
2.  Followed by running the php script “magento-cleanup”
3. Done. 

I think my site is already running better since the upgrade. 

Thanks for all your help

Magento Community
Magento Community

phpzag

Total Posts:  7

Lets imaging that you have old Magento 1.3.x / 1.4.x store and you need to upgrade it to latest Magento 1.6.x or 1.7.x version. First of all it is highly recommended to backup your live store files / database and disable Magento compiler cache

Next you need to get SSH access from your hosting provider and connect to your server via SSH protocol (using Linux command shell or Putty program for Windows). After connection via SSH, go to your store folder and execute these commands:

full story:
http://www.phpzag.com/magento-upgrade-guide/

Magento Community
Magento Community

yazalpizar

Total Posts:  8

Succesfully installed from 1.6.2.0 to 1.7.0.2 version. Updated lot of modules at once using Magento Connect Manager.
No problems at all, on installation process it detected some packages dependencies that where solved by installing the problematic modules at the end.
The installation cleans the cache automatically but as others recommended I deleted the var/cache and var/session folders, just in case.

For now I only have the 3 icons issue, everything else functioning like a clock.

Forget to comment, I’m using Windows7 Ultimate SP1, updated magento through http, not ftp.

Magento Community
Magento Community

brianwilson71

Get rid of the 3 icons by

- refreshing your BROWSER cache
- reload the page.

They should be gone.

/Brian

Magento Community