Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento hosting suggestions for which is best

tim.rycroft

Total Posts:  16

Hi,

I’m looking at either the following two packages, which one would work the fastest with Magento?

http://order.1and1.co.uk/xml/order/ServerManagedValue
This would be the value start server.

http://order.1and1.co.uk/xml/order/VpsRoot
This would be the XL package.

Please please can someone reply to my post!!!

Thanks

Tim

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

nileco

Total Posts:  79
Virginia

Tim,
I took a look for you and the only advantage that I can see in going with the more expensive shared package (value start) is that you receive all of the software and web building tools listed at the bottom of the chart.  If you are looking for raw power and control then the virtual server package seems to be the best choice.  If you are new to web building and could benefit from the software and other tools then go with the shared.
Personally, I would choose the virtual server package.

IMHO

Chris

Magento Community
Magento Community

danger2259

Total Posts:  19
London, UK

Hi
I currently use 1and1.co.uk on a shared environment
Magento does not work perfectly on this environment as when you try to use Magento Connect and try to download something it just freezes.

I have tried to contact 1and1 so many time about the Magento Connect but they do not have a clue about the problem.

I am not sure about VPS

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

JLHC
Mentor

Total Posts:  1287
Tampa, FL

Is their VPS managed? Otherwise you will need server management skill to manage them.
I advise you to start small and only upgrade when your store grows.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tim.rycroft

Total Posts:  16

Hi,

I have the technical skills and knowledge to manage servers or vps’s as my background is in the IT industry, I’m currently going for the VPS platform. I’m just having a bit of trouble with the php versions so I’m just checking with oneandone to see if they can upgrade, if failing that I will use the php-cgi work around.

Thanks for your help

Tim

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community