Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Duplicate/Mirror Categories

sourcetech

Total Posts:  17

I would like to be able to duplicate a category, but more than that I would like ANY product that is put into the original category in the future to be duplicated as well. So essentially mirroring the category, or duplicating the category mapping

It seems (in my non-programmer head!) that this should be simple to achieve.

Our site will have all 30,000 products automatically imported and updated every day by a script, but this script can only import a product once (to ensure no discrepancies etc.. ) But I need products to appear in several (sometimes up to 5) different places.

Could anyone help with this please?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

sourcetech

Can anyone help with this? All I’m looking for is a permanent duplicate of the product relations between multiple categories. Seems like something that can be done, I just wouldnt have a clue where to start!

Magento Community
Magento Community

sourcetech

Sorry to nag again, but I want to set off a script to import all of our products as soon as possible, but don’t want to do this before I know I can setup mirrored categories. Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

sourcetech

I’ve just had a thought, is there any way I can create a text block/widget which will show a certain category? Not an ideal solution, but seems possible?

.. whilst it’s quite nice having a conversation with myself, some help would be appreciated please?.. pretty please?  wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

sourcetech

Ok, I’ve found a paid mod which does EXACTLY what I’m looking for, I can add products from any category into a widget, then dump that widget into a static block and add the static block to a category. Slightly convoluted but it works!

http://icebergcommerce.com/software/magento-category-product-list-widget.html

Thanks for all your help Sourcetech!

You’re welcome Sourcetech!

I should probably delete this thread now, but I’m leaving it for sarcastic comedy purposes! (And to also help anyone who has this problem in the future of course! grin )

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3988

If you want to duplicate categories and product associations, then Duplicate Categories extension works perfectly for you.  Hoever, if all you need is to assign new categories to products in bulk, then consider Mass Product Actions addon.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Extendware

Total Posts:  231

To duplicate categories then you can use Category Copy Magento Extension. This will make your life much easier.

Magento Community
Magento Community

GeorgeSchiopu

Total Posts:  2
Warrington, UK

Extendware - 02 May 2012 06:06 PM

To duplicate categories then you can use Category Copy Magento Extension. This will make your life much easier.

Hi,
Does the module also keeps the products associations for a new mirrored category? If so, will a new product associated to the original category be also associated to the mirrored one?

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

sourcetech

This one does from IceBerg Here

It essentially just shows the content of a category within a widget. Not the 100% perfect solution, but any new products added to the “master category” will at least show up within the widget

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community