Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Extension licencing and MagentoConnect

niro
Mentor

Total Posts:  1609
Latvia, Riga

Hello, fellow Magento community members,

Me and my team have a following problem. We have a small amount (7 at the moment) of free extensions published on MagentoConnect. Among them there are 2, which we suspect being completely or partially stolen from us: ET IP Security and ET Advanced Compare. The first one is for restricting access to website and the second is for enhancing compare functionality.

And today I saw these relatively new extensions: IP Guard (IG) and Compare Ultimate (CU) both made by Arcanum Dev. One problem is that not only list of their features completely repeats ours, but even their screenshots resemble ours too much. Well, it is a pitty and we are alittle sad about that, but we could live with that alone - hell, our extensions are free, so it doesn’t really matter. However there are second problem, which concerns us much more than first one - ArcanumDev sells these extensions. And that we don’t like very much.

Both of our extensions are under AF L 3.0 licence. Well, we don’t have a lawer and we didn’t gave much thought for choose of licence. So I have a few questions to people who understand licences:
1) If we are right and ArcanumDev’s extensions contain our work, does AF L allows this?
2) If AF L allows this, what licence should we use to prevent that from happening in future?
3) Who defends developer’s copyright in Magento Connect? Is it MagentoConnect’s work to check extensions for such cases or developer must defend his work in court?

P.S. Dear ArcanumDev. If you’re reading this post, I can offer you some hot ideas for naming your next extensions: Currency Administrator (CA), Review Informer (RI) and Lytebox (well, i agree, there is no room for imagination here).

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Mosses Akizian

Total Posts:  176
Los Angeles, CA

Hi Niro- I just sent you an email. Please reply to the request and we’ll investigate accordingly. Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

niro
Mentor

Latvia, Riga

Thanks for answer. Emailed.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brynnae

Total Posts:  36
California

You can get it developed by Magento Developers which can be solely yours extension and I think it would cost low as compared to licensing fees and one advantage of Hiring Magento Professional Programmer is that you can get according to your need and can be used for as many years as you can.

Magento Community
Magento Community

niro
Mentor

Latvia, Riga

Hello. We are back with probably the same problem - we suspect that someone sells an extension that is partly or fully based on one of our free extensions, which is against our license agreement. Last time Mosses Akizian helped us with advice on how to proceed with the situation. At the time we decided not to follow this procedure, since we didn’t have enough proof on our point. But this time we were really sure about our suspicions and did as Mosses advised - we sent an email to Magento Connect, where we provided as much information as we could. We sent it on September 10, but we still fail to see any response from Connect team.

So I really hope that Mosses or some other team member still read the forum and will be able to clarify my situation.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community