Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Using Magento for digital downloads

benekski

Total Posts:  19

I’ve been trying out Magento’s digital download functionality. What I would like is to allow a customer to purchase a digital product as a guest and have a download link emailed to them..., but from what I see I can only allow a customer to purchase a digital product after registering and the product will become available for download in their account dashboard.... Am I right?

I just felt that for a low-priced download product, a customer might be put off if they have to create an account first and it would be more immediate if they could pay via PayPal and receive an immediate download link with a download limit and expiry time.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Matis

Total Posts:  15
Estonia, Tallinn

Yes, Magento need a bit of work in order to make digital downloads to work with Guest.

1) in Magento admin navigate to System -> Configuration -> Catalog -> Downloadable product options

There Disable Guest checkout if Cart contains downloadable items -> set it to No.

Shareable -> Yes (it means you not have to log in, in order to download, you just have to know the link)

And basically that’s it. If you want to display the download links right after the successful checkout, then you need to some programming related modification. In any way download links are being sent with an email, and you can even configure them to be active once the order has been invoiced.

Magento Community
Magento Community

benekski

Total Posts:  19

But would that download link always be the same, so it could be passed on to someone else...?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Matis

Estonia, Tallinn

No, each time order is placed, there is unique download link sent out.
You can limit the number of times the download link can be used.

Also download link is not put to the email, if the downloadable product is configurable product.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tuyenho

Total Posts:  1

Hi, I am newest user of Magento. I saw your discussion is the same what I am looking for. I would like to ask for your advice which Magento version/ product should I use for online store of selling digital product? I am confusing to choose the version to use now. Please help.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Matis

Estonia, Tallinn

Magento 1.3 and greater will work just fine.

Only thing that would be nice is the feature to display the download links right on the order success page. This part has to be done manually.

Magento Community
Magento Community

janesummerglow

Total Posts:  10

I am interested in this question too)))))

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kunzi

Total Posts:  44

Matis - 16 April 2012 10:37 AM

Magento 1.3 and greater will work just fine.

Only thing that would be nice is the feature to display the download links right on the order success page. This part has to be done manually.

How is the download link added to the order success page?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community