Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
How do I make the URL’s SEO friendly? 

Marcosi

Total Posts:  15

I have just migrated four shops from osCommerce to a new installation of Magento with design and over 2.000 products. One of the shop holds all the products of the other three.

All the items was imported directly in to Magento. Now the URL’s are not very SEO friendly, and very long. Like

http://rmynewshop/catalog/product/view/id/1432/item_xxx/category/139/

Is there a way to make the URL’s short and SEO friendly like they should be, without doing it manually for each item? Like

http://rnynewshop/item_xxx.html

I have tried to follow the instructions for mod rewrite in admin but it don’t work. Is it because it’s imported?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

NuBlue

Total Posts:  94
Lancaster, United Kingdom

Hi Marcosi,

Usually once you enable Rewrites in the magento admin interface it makes the URL\’s a bit cleaner, if enabling this hasn\’t worked for you I would double check you have the standard magento .htaccess file in place in your website document root. If you can confirm it is there and the system has write access to the file it should work fine.

Having never used the osCommerce import tool I couldn\’t tell you if this would effect the rewrite rules although i highly doubt it would have any impact. If you are unsure about the contents of the .htaccess feel free to post here (or PM me if any sensitive info lives in there)

Magento Community
Magento Community

Marcosi

I am not the programmer and also not very familiar with programming. But looking at other Magento shops it writes out very good and SEO friendly URL’s. Unfortunately the osCommerce import function in Magento don’t work, so I know the programmer did a script for the imports.

Any suggestion what more one could try to do to get the correct URL output? The htaccess file seems right.

The programmer that made the installation followed the Magento installation manual, so the installation and settings should be right, I have also looked in admin comparing with tutorials for SEO friendly URL’s, and from what I can see the settings is correct.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Marcosi

Just in case I’m posting the path where the htaccess file is located and also attaching the file if somebody can see any errors in it. The permission on htaccess is 775.

The htaccess file is located in “/domains/mynewsite.com/public_html/” which is the root for all other three domains i.e.
“/domains/mynewsite.com/public_html/mynewsite_2/” and so on.

htaccess file attached, and any help much appreciated.

I was just looking at the Magento demo shop and the category URL there is also the “long version”

File Attachments
htaccess.txt  (File Size: 5KB - Downloads: 67)

Magento Community
Magento Community

brisbanebr

Total Posts:  5

I also agree with the fact that SEO friendly URL is recommended for any website which wants to be indexed and wants its presence in search results. Other than that if you want a website that is accessible by the search engines in order to improve your rankings, you need the right SEO services.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Marcosi

Thanks, we have SEO people. It’s just this technical problem we have to solve before we launch the shops.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Marcosi

Problem solved. It was the osCommerce import that was not done correctly in the database structure. It took a pro 3h to fix, and all is well now smile

I see some Magento stores don have the suffix .html Is that better from a SEO point of view?

/item_xxx.html

and

/item_xxx/

Magento Community
Magento Community

acknox

Total Posts:  10

If you want to further optimize your URLs we’ve had some success with this http://extensions.activo.com/seo-friendly-categories-for-magento.html

Magento Community
Magento Community

elementary

Create SEO-friendly URL titles (slugs) - posted in PHP Tutorials: Intro: Last time I had talked about using.

Magento Community
Magento Community

johnnieslist07

For making you URL SEO friendly you should keep all the titles and description SEO friendly or you should get some advice from here http://www.tutorialhero.com/index.php?id=view&cat;=135&x;=25&sort;=Most+Clicks

Magento Community
Magento Community

lisamonica

Total Posts:  2

make permanent URL

Magento Community
Magento Community

Engagedots

Total Posts:  6
India

Try to have permanent and static url, include keyword to your url. So that search engine would find easy to crawl your website.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Magazento

Total Posts:  155
Russia,Volgograd

For SEO we can recommend our “SEO Engine” extension - http://www.magazento.com/english/magento-ext/magazento-extensions/seo

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Product SEO optimization:
- Dynamic title Templates
- Dynamic description Templates
- Dynamic keywords Templates
- Product URL key template rewriters
- Possibility to enable\\disable title template
- Possibility to enable\\disable description template
- Possibility to enable\\disable keyword template
- Possibility to enable\\disable Robots Meta tag
- Possibility to filter assigned products in the same way as you filter products on Product page at back-end.
- Possibility to create different Meta Templates for different product groups !!!
- Websites, stores selection support. Different Meta templates for different stores
- Robots Meta tag for products, possibility to select 1 of 7 Robots Meta Tag values
- Very useful for big stores with 100000 and more products

Category SEO optimization:
- Dynamic Category Meta Title Templates
- Dynamic Category Meta Description Templates
- Dynamic Category Meta Keyword Templates
- Category URL key template rewriters
- Possibility to enable\\disable title template
- Possibility to enable\\disable description template
- Possibility to enable\\disable keyword template
- Possibility to enable\\disable Robots Meta tag
- Possibility to assign and select categories per template in the same way as you edit categories on category pages
- Different Meta Templates for different categories !!!
- Robots Meta tag for categories, possibility to select 1 of 7 Robots Meta Tag values

CMS page SEO optimization:
- Robots Meta tag for pages, possibility to select 1 of 7 Robots Meta Tag values
- Remove home page duplicates by adding 301 Redirect for:
---http://www.storename.com/home
---http://www.storename.com/index.php
---http://www.storename.com/index.php/home

Magento Community
Magento Community

MageSEO

Total Posts:  2
USA

Marcosi,

Please let me know if you still need help with this, happy to jump in!

Magento Community
Magento Community

nikelecy

Total Posts:  3
Cyprus

MageSEO - 21 September 2012 04:48 AM

Marcosi,

Please let me know if you still need help with this, happy to jump in!

If you need help I can help too:)

Magento Community
Magento Community

convicta

Total Posts:  12
Sweden

I’ve tried a few other systems that are also in the open-source but always had problems with being able to get good seo url. But with magento, it was so simple. And it worked even on seo url when I run it on localhost. No, it was so easy with magento. I love my Magento and i getting fast high ranking on google with it.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2