Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Edited .phtml files not showing

moosejam

Total Posts:  26

I need to make changes to various .phtml files. But I’m finding they don’t show at the front end.

I’m downloading the correct files from my theme making the changes, uploading and overwriting them ok.

I’ve refreshed the caches in Magento and re-indexed as well. Still the new .phtml files are not showing the changes at the browser.

The files I’m changing are to do with the cart and login and are only text wording not php code changes.

I’ve cleared my caches within my browser.

Done a google search and the following suggestion don’t work:

Disable cache management in magento
Delete magento cache files from the cache folder manually via ftp

I’m finding this totally frustrating and lacks all kind of normal web logic, can’t understand way it doesn’t work. What am I missing here to get it to work????????

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Unleaded

Total Posts:  21
Denver, CO

Sounds like you might be editing the incorrect files, possibly you are editing files under /base/default when you should be editing under [your-package]/[your-theme].

Have you turned on template path hints and located the precise file? See Here

Also, another thing that can happen is if you’re editing files, say on a development server, and that magento install is hosted on the same server as the production site. Make sure you’re in the correct subdomain if that’s the case. It’s easy to get a little confused in cases like that and terribly frustrating when simple changes take much longer to do because of things like this.

Also, a good method to go by when you’re editing template files is to open up the file you think is the correct one, add a simple HTML comment near the top, and then upload/refresh the page. When you inspect the code, if you see your comment, you’re in the right place. Alternatively, you can add something like <h1>TEST!</h1> which should be visibly obvious if the changes were saved.

Magento Community
Magento Community

hawthorn

Total Posts:  14

Hi - wondering did you ever get this sorted as I’m having the same problem.  Cannot update my .phtml files or css files. I can rename a css file and upload it as a new one, but I can’t get it to recognise any changes after that, have to keep putting new ones up. And the .phtml files won’t recognise any changes either.

Am 100% sure that I’m changing the correct files and all caching is disabled.

Thanks for any help!

Magento Community
Magento Community

rbuczynski

Total Posts:  6

Also having the same problem. Using CE 1.7.0.2, and I can’t figure this thing out!

Cleared cache a dozen times, both via admin interface and manually clearing /var/cache/.

This started happening suddenly a few weeks ago. The issue specifically is with the catalog/product/new.phtml template being cached with the block, which I override (from Mage_Catalog_Block_Product_New).

I installed some debugging tools to verify, in-browser, that the correct template and block are being loaded - they are.

Any suggestions?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community