Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Point of Sale software to complement Magento? 

cshontz

Total Posts:  91

Our business is primarily a brick-and-mortar retail store, and secondarily an online store. The e-commerce end is my responsibility. Very soon, our current point-of-sale software (keycomp) is going to be discontinued. Its really a blessing in disguise, because its quite archaic anyway. I’m planning on implementing Magento on the online front, but can you guys recommend a versatile point-of-sale software for the brick-and-mortar front? Something that I might be able to integrate with Magento to some extent? (as far as synchronizing part numbers, stock, pricing, etc)

This is a picture of our brick-and-mortar sales environment:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1063/1139937826_830e66fb1d_b.jpg

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

cshontz

We’re looking for something that will feed data into Magento, probably in the form of XML. Or something with an open database that we could query directly with Magento. Finally, something that differentiates between web pricing, and retail (non-web) pricing.

Magento Community
Magento Community

cshontz

We’re strongly considering a package called CounterPoint SQL, which seems to be well-suited for our industry. Does anyone have any experience with the CounterPoint/Magento duo? I suspect not, but it doesn’t hurt to ask.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jason

Total Posts:  19

I’ve never used it, but heard good things about Stone Edge…

http://www.stoneedge.com/

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

cshontz, not sure if you are looking to place simple orders, but if you have no issues collecting customers’ address info and such data, why not just use Magento? Customer service module should be getting released with the stable release in a couple months.

I have clients who want QuickBooks integration, preferably a method to synchronize both systems without having to do it manually such as with XML. But QB is an accounting app, not particularly a POS software, although in a round about way I suppose it does both, since one can create orders with it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

evdat

Total Posts:  35
Carthage, MO

cshontz - 24 January 2008 09:09 AM

We’re strongly considering a package called CounterPoint SQL, which seems to be well-suited for our industry. Does anyone have any experience with the CounterPoint/Magento duo? I suspect not, but it doesn’t hurt to ask.

You suspect wrong…

I manage and develop custom integration solutions for CounterPoint SQL where I work. We have both a brick and morter POS store, and a mail-order store. The mail-order store we have custom web integration with so that we can import orders, and export inventory with the website. We also have a similar piece of integration with a 3rd party call center which provides after-hours customer service, and order entry for our mail-order and web customers. I have done some extensive customizations to CounterPoint SQL and find it a very flexible piece of software for order management.

I am working on supporting and customizing Magento, but I wouldn’t mind helping with integrating CounterPoint SQL, which I know well, with this wonderful e-commerce solution. I think it would actually be a huge plus for Radiant if we had a good working solution with a soon-to-be leading e-commerce platform. The web integration that Radiant currently has with the product is limiting to say the least.

If you have any questions about CounterPoint SQL, migrating to it, integrating it, setting it up, you name it, just let me know. I have to the know that product inside and out to make and support all the customizations we have with the product.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Roy Andre

Total Posts:  209

Can mention that we are going to integrate our POS retailsystem ElGuide with Magento. We have already integrated it with ZenCart/OsC so that all products/prices/stocks from the POS-system is updated in the Webshop, and also so that all orders done in the Webshop are automatically imported into the POS-system in the same way as normal sales done in the physical store is done.

If anyone is interested in more information regarding this dont hesitate to contact me.

Magento Community
Magento Community

llbbl

Total Posts:  2

What about Lightspeed?
http://www.xsilva.com/features.php

Magento Community
Magento Community

theonlycore4

Total Posts:  21

Has there been any successful development with any of these POS options? I’m looking to sell a POS/Magento system to a client, would love to know what works best.

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Unixversal

Total Posts:  80
Cologne, Germany

I guess it depends on your OS which will give you you different options regarding the software you like.

For Mac I found so far:

- Lightspeed ( www.xsilva.com ) ( no information yet )
- Checkout ( www.checkoutapp.com ) (based on PostgreSQL )

For Windows:

- Caofaktura (MSSQL)
- JTL LS-POS (MSSQL)
- Lexware ( www.lexware.com ) ( Sybase SQL Anywhere )

Web-Based:

LxOffice ( www.lxoffice.org ) (MYSQL or Potsgresql )

I guess it really depends on your requirements and if its supposed to be just a POS or more..

cheers.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jpic

Total Posts:  4

Hi,

We successfully bridged GestiShop (french point of sale software) and Magento; and we also implemented a data importer. We had the sources of GestiShop and everything could be done with GNU/Linux so we could make it for 2500 euros.

We can bridge any kind of software to solve your e-commerce needs, or translate GestiShop and adapt it for you.

Feel free explain your needs for a quote: jamespic@gmail.com

Regards, James.

Magento Community
Magento Community

freshy

Total Posts:  2

Hi,

I am looking for a POS that integrates with Magento for stock & inventory at a minimum.

Has anyone bought or implemented something along these lines recently?

I need a solution very soon.

Thanks

Freshy

Magento Community
Magento Community

youngilaboungi

Total Posts:  28
Alexandria, Egypt

Check my project’s blog @
http://magento-checkoutapp.blogspot.com/

Peace

Magento Community
Magento Community

BoostMyShop

Total Posts:  155
France

Hello,

we recently released a new extension : Magento Point Of Sales

you can get more information here :
http://www.maisondulogiciel.com/english/magento/point-of-sales.html

regards

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sara Smile

Total Posts:  9
Washington State

\"jpic\" -

Hi,

We successfully bridged GestiShop (french point of sale software) and Magento; and we also implemented a data importer. We had the sources of GestiShop and everything could be done with GNU/Linux so we could make it for 2500 euros.

We can bridge any kind of software to solve your e-commerce needs, or translate GestiShop and adapt it for you.

Feel free explain your needs for a quote: jamespic@gmail.com

Regards, James.

Hahaha I don’t know what it is with the French but I was also going to recommend a French Canadian solution called Logivision that does a great job of import/exports and uses SQL for the DB making it easy to bridge.

Most the experiences I\’ve had so far with getting a pos system talking to another software package have all been frustrating so if there’s a proven solution from the Magento folks, you better believe that’s the easiest and possibly the best option. smile

At least you seem to have your hardware done right (all those machines look the same (50 points!)) and you guys have cute shorts! smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

roniehalrone

Total Posts:  3

You can take help of TAM\’s Proven Brick and Mortar POS as it has option that has allowed brick and mortar retailers to easily and effectively manage their store operations. I think you will get solution to your problem from there.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2