Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

There was a problem with reindexing process. 

DmitryM

Total Posts:  23

Hey guys, could someone hint me where the problem can be?

I have added a new categories and placed a products there. When I tried to rebuild the indexes I have got the following message
“There was a problem with reindexing process.\\\”
This happened on the Category Products indexation. All other items seem fine.

Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

OpenCommerce

Total Posts:  84
Cincinnati, OH

You can fix the issue by removing your lock files. Go to var/locks and delete the files in there. It should unlock the re-indexing process.

Thanks,
TinyBrick

Magento Community
Magento Community

Stratus99

Total Posts:  3

Hi there

I’m having a similar problem

I’m getting “there was a problem with reindexing process” for both “Category Flat Data” as well as “Product Prices”

I’ve tried re-indexing all using a script like this:

<?php  

require_once 'app/Mage.php';  

$app Mage::app('admin');  

umask(0);  
 for (
$index 1$index <= 8$index++) {  
     $process 
Mage::getModel('index/process')->load($index);  

$process->reindexAll();  

}

I’ve tried truncating catalog_category_flat_store_1

I’ve tried ‘repairing’ the database

I’ve tried deleting my locks and my other various things in var

still getting it

Also..  I can’t access products or add them .. I get one of those wonderful errors - :-(

Anybody have any ideas?

cheers
-st

PS:  i’m running a 1.5.1 install and using a custom theme .. if that makes any difference (It has to be 1.5.1 because I need to connect it to lightspeed pos software)

PPS:  I also tried this: http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/steps_to_solve_re-indexing_errors_in_magento_admin

Magento Community
Magento Community

ncotrona

Total Posts:  161

Same Issue Here - Am Unable to find a solution

Product Flat File: Cannot initialize the indexer process.

I am getting a error when trying to run the index process through the backend.  I read all of the posts regarding this error and have tried all of the fixes, however, none of them have resolved my issue....

Below is the error that I get when I try to run the index process via SSH...Does anyone know how to interpret the error below to assist in resolving this error?

Product Flat Data index process unknown error:
exception ‘PDOException’ with message ‘SQLSTATE[42000]: Syntax error or access violation: 1118 Row size too large. The maximum row size for the used table type, not counting BLOBs, is 65535.

You have to change some columns to TEXT or BLOBs’ in /public_html/lib/Zend/Db/Statement/Pdo.php:228

Stack trace:
#0 /public_html/lib/Zend/Db/Statement/Pdo.php(228): PDOStatement->execute(Array)
#1 /public_html/lib/Varien/Db/Statement/Pdo/Mysql.php(110): Zend_Db_Statement_Pdo->_execute(Array)
#2 /public_html/lib/Zend/Db/Statement.php(300): Varien_Db_Statement_Pdo_Mysql->_execute(Array)
#3 /public_html/lib/Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php(479): Zend_Db_Statement->execute(Array)
#4 /public_html/lib/Zend/Db/Adapter/Pdo/Abstract.php(238): Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query(’ALTER TABLE `ca...’, Array)
#5 /public_html/lib/Varien/Db/Adapter/Pdo/Mysql.php(419): Zend_Db_Adapter_Pdo_Abstract->query(’ALTER TABLE `ca...’, Array)
#6 /public_html/lib/Varien/Db/Adapter/Pdo/Mysql.php(340): Varien_Db_Adapter_Pdo_Mysql->query(’ALTER TABLE `ca...’)
#7 /public_html/lib/Varien/Db/Adapter/Pdo/Mysql.php(839): Varien_Db_Adapter_Pdo_Mysql->raw_query(’ALTER TABLE `ca...’)
#8 /public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Catalog/Model/Resource/Product/Flat/Indexer.php(799): Varien_Db_Adapter_Pdo_Mysql->addColumn(’catalog_product...’, ‘ead_homeowner_u...’, Array)
#9 /public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Catalog/Model/Resource/Product/Flat/Indexer.php(1390): Mage_Catalog_Model_Resource_Product_Flat_Indexer->prepareFlatTable(3)
#10 /public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Catalog/Model/Product/Flat/Indexer.php(296): Mage_Catalog_Model_Resource_Product_Flat_Indexer->reindexAll()
#11 /public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Catalog/Model/Product/Indexer/Flat.php(336): Mage_Catalog_Model_Product_Flat_Indexer->reindexAll()
#12 /public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Index/Model/Process.php(209): Mage_Catalog_Model_Product_Indexer_Flat->reindexAll()
#13 /public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Index/Model/Process.php(255): Mage_Index_Model_Process->reindexAll()
#14 /public_html/shell/indexer.php(158): Mage_Index_Model_Process->reindexEverything()
#15 /public_html/shell/indexer.php(198): Mage_Shell_Compiler->run()
#16 {main}

Magento Community
Magento Community

code2012

Total Posts:  37

TRUNCATE `catalog_product_flat_1;

and remove everything from var/locks…

but before that take backup first.

Magento Community
Magento Community

code2012

Total Posts:  37

1. Backup the SQL table “catalog_category_product_index” with “Disable foreign key checks” ticked.
2. Drop the table.
3. Remove the constraints at the bottom of the backup file, except “SET FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=1;”
so on my file it was this
“ALTER TABLE `catalog_category_product_index`
ADD CONSTRAINT `FK_CATALOG_CATEGORY_PROD_IDX_CATEGORY_ENTITY` FOREIGN KEY (`category_id`) REFERENCES `catalog_category_entity` (`entity_id`) ON DELETE CASCADE ON UPDATE CASCADE,
ADD CONSTRAINT `FK_CATALOG_CATEGORY_PROD_IDX_PROD_ENTITY` FOREIGN KEY (`product_id`) REFERENCES `catalog_product_entity` (`entity_id`) ON DELETE CASCADE ON UPDATE CASCADE;”
4. Save and Import your backup file, or runt the sql directly.
5. You should then be able to run the re-index from the magento backend.
6. If 5 did not work(you might have thousands of products) SSH to your install and go to /shell/ and run this command.
“php indexer.php –reindex catalog_category_product”
if you want to re-index all run this “php indexer.php reindexall”
That’s it, i hope this helps some one…

Magento Community
Magento Community

ncotrona

Thank You XAP1

I followed these instructions and all steps completed successfully.  At the end, I still get the same error…

Product Flat Data index process unknown error:
exception ‘PDOException’ with message ‘SQLSTATE[42000]: Syntax error or access violation: 1118 Row size too large. The maximum row size for the used table type, not counting BLOBs, is 65535. You have to change some columns to TEXT or BLOBs’ in /public_html/lib/Zend/Db/Statement/Pdo.php:228
Stack trace:
#0 /public_html/lib/Zend/Db/Statement/Pdo.php(228): PDOStatement->execute(Array)
#1 /public_html/lib/Varien/Db/Statement/Pdo/Mysql.php(110): Zend_Db_Statement_Pdo->_execute(Array)
#2 /public_html/lib/Zend/Db/Statement.php(300): Varien_Db_Statement_Pdo_Mysql->_execute(Array)
#3 /public_html/lib/Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php(479): Zend_Db_Statement->execute(Array)
#4 /public_html/lib/Zend/Db/Adapter/Pdo/Abstract.php(238): Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query(’ALTER TABLE `ca...’, Array)
#5 /public_html/lib/Varien/Db/Adapter/Pdo/Mysql.php(419): Zend_Db_Adapter_Pdo_Abstract->query(’ALTER TABLE `ca...’, Array)
#6 /public_html/lib/Varien/Db/Adapter/Pdo/Mysql.php(340): Varien_Db_Adapter_Pdo_Mysql->query(’ALTER TABLE `ca...’)
#7 /public_html/lib/Varien/Db/Adapter/Pdo/Mysql.php(839): Varien_Db_Adapter_Pdo_Mysql->raw_query(’ALTER TABLE `ca...’)
#8 /public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Catalog/Model/Resource/Product/Flat/Indexer.php(799): Varien_Db_Adapter_Pdo_Mysql->addColumn(’catalog_product...’, ‘ead_homeowner_u...’, Array)
#9 /public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Catalog/Model/Resource/Product/Flat/Indexer.php(1390): Mage_Catalog_Model_Resource_Product_Flat_Indexer->prepareFlatTable(3)
#10 /public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Catalog/Model/Product/Flat/Indexer.php(296): Mage_Catalog_Model_Resource_Product_Flat_Indexer->reindexAll()
#11 /public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Catalog/Model/Product/Indexer/Flat.php(336): Mage_Catalog_Model_Product_Flat_Indexer->reindexAll()
#12 /public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Index/Model/Process.php(209): Mage_Catalog_Model_Product_Indexer_Flat->reindexAll()
#13 /public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Index/Model/Process.php(255): Mage_Index_Model_Process->reindexAll()
#14 /public_html/shell/indexer.php(158): Mage_Index_Model_Process->reindexEverything()
#15 /public_html/shell/indexer.php(198): Mage_Shell_Compiler->run()
#16 {main}

Magento Community
Magento Community

ncotrona

XAP -

The index I am having problems with is Product Flat Data .  I am not sure if you referenced the correct database table for the Product Flat Data, Please confirm.

Thanks Much
N

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mirasvit
Guru

Total Posts:  639

Hi

Indeed when a large number of goods or attributes need to be saved, backend works very slow, as each time you save data the system re-indexes the goods through the entire catalog.
Asynchronous Re-indexing is a solution of this problem. When a product or category is saved it is not immediately re-indexed, but put into a queue. The queue is re-indexed in the background. This greatly speeds up the backend. This mechanism is implemented by using an extension of http://mirasvit.com/magento-extensions/magento-asynchronous-reindex.html

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community