Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Set shipping price for CD backup option of a downloadable product

lbrean

Total Posts:  31

I have a downloadable product where the options are for the download only or for the download plus a backup compact disc mailed to the user. I would like to charge actual shipping for the disc.

To facilitate this, I thought I would create a separate regular product for the disc. Then, in the downloadable product options, for the download+disc option, I used the SKU of the separate regular product.

Right now, when the download + disc option is chosen, there is no shipping method showing up in the checkout. It’s being treated as a download.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Xtero Ltd.

Total Posts:  8
Berlin, Germany

*push*

This is one of my problem’s, too.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lbrean

Total Posts:  31

From what I can tell, it can’t be done. I’ve run it past a couple of developers and it would require a significant amount of hacking of the magento code. No thanks!

What I’m going to do is display in the catalog and link to from the main menu the product as a downloadable product, say for $39.95. Then I’m going to add the option of ordering the backup disc for a few dollars over cost for $9.99. The backup disc option won’t be searchable in the catalog or the rest of the site. It will only show up as an upsell on the corresponding download product page. Thus the customer gets the download and the backup disc if they so desire. I’m thinking this set up may also have the upside of lowering the volume of shipping status emails from customers as they’ll get the download right away and won’t be waiting by their door for the disc to be delivered.

You can see an example of how something similar was done on the homedics page, where they are selling refills for a particular product: http://tinyurl.com/ajnusa

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community