Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 4
Looking for a good shared host to use Magento

magbuzz

Total Posts:  32

The Magento server is fast. The MySql server is not overburdened and handles requests easily.

Magento does seem to be inherently a little sluggish which is due to the program. I expect this will get better as more bugs are worked out of the system.

m

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  770
Phoenix, AZ

magbuzz - 11 April 2008 07:28 AM

The Magento server is fast. The MySql server is not overburdened and handles requests easily.

Magento does seem to be inherently a little sluggish which is due to the program. I expect this will get better as more bugs are worked out of the system.

Would help if you could post a link to a demo store smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

KonstantinDK

Total Posts:  47
Arlington, TX, USA

Well, I’m testing sphere web hosting, And I have 8 seconds for demo with pingdom tools.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Phoenix, AZ

KonstantinDK - 11 April 2008 04:50 PM

Well, I’m testing sphere web hosting, And I have 8 seconds for demo with pingdom tools.

Pingdom is actually the last thing I’d recommend. Why? Because the tests are coming directly from Pingdom’s network, and only their network. Because of this, the load times listed are always incorrect and can go from 2-40 seconds depending on how loaded their server is at the time. Use this site instead:

http://internetsupervision.com/scripts/urlcheck/check.aspx

Magento Community
Magento Community

KonstantinDK

Arlington, TX, USA

Ouch. Cant be true! Basically all under 1 sec! Try to check it yourself.
http://www.konstantin.internethostserver.com/magento/

Washington, DC (3 Mbps) 22:44:39 OK 11.25 0.27 339
Santiago, Chile (760 Kbps) 22:39:44 OK 11.25 0.80 112
Dortmund, Germany (5 Mbps) 22:39:45 OK 11.25 0.47 192
Los Angeles, CA (1.5 Mbps) 23:38:25 OK 11.25 0.61 148
Chicago, IL (45 Mbps) 22:39:43 OK 11.25 0.00 Infinity
St. Petersburg, Russia (5 Mbps) 22:38:42 OK 11.25 0.64 141
Gloucester, UK (5 Mbps) 22:39:44 OK 11.25 0.42 213
Sydney, Australia (5 Mbps) 22:39:43 OK 11.25 1.08 83

thats with sphere

1and1 cheapest shared - 1,5 sec.... magento.kwaricash.com

Helpinghand shows… average 5 sec?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Phoenix, AZ

Well it’s not going to be 100% accurate, I doubt anything out there will be. The best judge is yourself of course. Here’s what I got with the URLs you posted:

Site: http://www.konstantin.internethostserver.com/magento/
Average: 1.84 seconds
My browser’s timer: 5 seconds

Site: http://magento.kwaricash.com
Average: 3.04 seconds
My browser’s timer: 10 seconds

So while you’re showing 1.5 seconds for the one on 1&1;, I’m showing 3.04 seconds. But on the other one, your results show a 0.47 second average, but I showed a 1.84 second average.

Pingdom would be a great tool for this, as it actually seems to replicate what it’s like to load a page, but the problem is they don’t do checks from around the globe like this one test site does. If they were combined it would be a much more accurate way to test out the load times. Other than that, physically loading a site into your browser and counting how long it takes is going to be your best bet.

Magento Community
Magento Community

cosmetics

Total Posts:  18
The Netherlands

If of any use: Here the results from the Dutch jury (:-) ;
>>>>> These are the homepages of these hosts, so not their Magento Demo Shop pges <<<<<

Crucial: 4.5 seconds
http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/?url=www.crucialwebhosting.com&treeview;=0&column;=objectID&order;=1&type;=0&save;=true

Helping Hand: 3.7 seconds
http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/?url=www.helpinghandhost.com&treeview;=0&column;=objectID&order;=1&type;=0&save;=true

Simple helix: 2.1 seconds
http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/?url=www.simplehelix.com&treeview;=0&column;=objectID&order;=1&type;=0&save;=true

Nublue (UK) 6.7 seconds
http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/?url=www.nublue.co.uk&treeview;=0&column;=objectID&order;=1&type;=0&save;=true

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sphere

Total Posts:  1

Welcome to Sphere KonstantinDK! Glad to see your Magento tests have been successful.

Magento Community
Magento Community

KonstantinDK

Arlington, TX, USA

Well, on the helpinghand website, it says, they lease servers in Liquidweb’s datacenter. My investigation showed, that Shpere is leasing from them, too (although they don’t show it on their web site, but compare location of facility, and facility desrciption).

So, performance should be about the same…
And liquidweb’s shares hosting is too epensive.

P.S> This demo with helping hand
http://www.bookstoreforstudents.com/magento/magento/

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Phoenix, AZ

KonstantinDK - 12 April 2008 08:03 AM

Well, on the helpinghand website, it says, they lease servers in Liquidweb’s datacenter. My investigation showed, that Shpere is leasing from them, too (although they don’t show it on their web site, but compare location of facility, and facility desrciption).

So, performance should be about the same…
And liquidweb’s shares hosting is too epensive.

That depends on the port uplink speed too. What does Sphere and HH use, e.g. 10, 100, or 1000 Mbps?

Magento Community
Magento Community

roco

Total Posts:  191

I can recommend simple helix. very fast, one click install, fast tech support. kind courteous - excellent.

Plan 19.95 /mo

Magento Community
Magento Community

JTSchmidt

Total Posts:  11
Irvine, CA

Hey All,

Some additional info.

I just wanted to throw in my bit of experience.  Magento really belongs on a dedicated server.  I’ve tried to get by on a shared host, but found both 1and1 and SimpleHelix (20/mos plans) to be inadequate.  Speeds were very inconsistent: slowing down significantly in the afternoons, and picking back up in the evenings.  I was looking at ~10 sec load times in the afternoon, ~4 sec in the evening with only a handful of products.  Times between the two hosts were comparable in the afternoon, although SimpleHelix is a little faster later in the day.

Otherwise, the backends of both hosts are some of the better ones i’ve seen in terms of flexibility (compared with my accounts on IX, GoDaddy, and Globat).

I have to admit SimpleHelix ‘one click” Magento install is pretty slick though.

wink

I’m looking for a dedicated server.  Any suggestions?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Phoenix, AZ

JTSchmidt - 17 June 2008 08:16 PM

I’m looking for a dedicated server.  Any suggestions?

Depends on your budget. You can spend $300 and probably get worse performance than what you get on shared hosting. You can also spend upwards $1200. And I don’t think Magento requires a dedicated server either. It’s obviously the ideal environment for anyone with no budget, but it’s certainly not a requirement.

Magento Community
Magento Community

JTSchmidt

Total Posts:  11
Irvine, CA

Moving one step at a time.  Probably looking at starting off at 100/mos.  I’d hate to make the move to find that nothing has changed.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Phoenix, AZ

JTSchmidt - 17 June 2008 08:29 PM

Moving one step at a time.  Probably looking at starting off at 100/mos.  I’d hate to make the move to find that nothing has changed.

To be honest, you wouldn’t see any performance increase with a server at the price. We can’t even buy a dedicated server that cheap, and that’s unmanaged.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 4