Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 5
EZAPPS Zoom: Full-Page Cache

PCGamesPlus

Total Posts:  166
Sacramento, CA

I am having the same issue when I install this extension. I contacted the developer and sent them the “links.phtml” file I am using. If it gets sorted, I will post the results here.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

stefanr91

Total Posts:  11

PC Games Plus - 15 May 2012 12:06 PM

I am having the same issue when I install this extension. I contacted the developer and sent them the “links.phtml” file I am using. If it gets sorted, I will post the results here.

Okay thanks! I will also have a look at it to see if I can find the problem. The strange thing is that I’ve used this extension for two weeks without problems, but since today I got this bug. If I can find something useful I will share here.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MagenX
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  791
Dublin

hm, i was waiting about 2 months, no sound from developer.
no time to debug things that has no faq or documentation....
removed this for now, will use varnish+apc+memcached etc…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tacgear

Total Posts:  52

The only thing I don’t like about varnish is I’ve seen no hole punch for product availability. I’m using a modified phoenix + aoe static and have < 1 second page loads across all pages… even when the visitor is logged in and has items in the cart.

All of this is great and holes are punched for all the various blocks like top links, mini cart, recently viewed, ect… But I update stock levels nightly from a flat file. Which means I have to purge varnish and recrawl my site nightly as well. With 20k items that’s not a big deal but add more and things start falling apart.

I wonder if any of these full page caching systems will build in the ability to dynamically display the availability of stock levels. Just a thought for down the road EZAPPS wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

hankzh

Total Posts:  56

Did you mind share your current solution code?
It looks interesting.

Tacgear - 16 May 2012 10:29 PM

The only thing I don’t like about varnish is I’ve seen no hole punch for product availability. I’m using a modified phoenix + aoe static and have < 1 second page loads across all pages… even when the visitor is logged in and has
I wonder if any of these full page caching systems will build in the ability to dynamically display the availability of stock levels. Just a thought for down the road EZAPPS wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tacgear

Sure why not,

Let me ZIP up some files real quick and write some instructions.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tacgear

FYI this is running on Magento 1.5.1 running LSWS over apache. But it will work just fine with straight apache. Instructions are the same. Other versions of Magento I don’t know about.

Backup your Data before installing this and make sure your magento install is running smoothly before installing this. Having a double caching system behind a reverse poxy makes it very confusing to troubleshoot other issues with dynamic content.

Get varnish > 3.0 installed and running, listening on port 8080 for the time being.

Grab my zip, extract and upload the app and js folders. Refresh magento cache, logout and login. Visit system > configuration > system and you will see configs for PageCache powered by varnish and AOE static. Configure them as follows:

AOE Static is simple:

cms_page_view;2592000,
catalog_product_view;2592000,
catalog_category_view;2592000,
catalog_category_layered;2592000

You can add more routes to this for content created by other extensions.

PageCache should be set as follows:

Enable cache module: Yes
Varnish servers: Your IP Address
Server port: 80
Disable caching: No
Disable caching for routes: (checkout customer moneybookers paypal wishlist catalogsearch) all on seperate lines.
Disable caching vars: currency,order
Default cache TTL: 2592000 (30 days)
Cache TTL for routes: (Remove all routes here, this is controlled by AOE Static)
Purge category: Yes
Purge product: Yes
Purge CMS page: Yes
Debug: Yes

Save and refresh cache.

The third folder in my zip contains my .vcl to use with varnish and my altered varnish startup file. You can change the startup file to use varnish data handling however you wish. I personally like using “persistant” because it creates and locks silos as it’s caching so when I reboot my server all my locked silos remain in place and I don’t have to recrawl my site.

You will need to change the IP addresses in the .vcl and the varnish startup file obviously. I’ve replaced my IP with “yourdedicatedipaddress”.

Put these files in place and

service varnish stop
from the shell.

Change your website’s listening port to 8080. If your using apache config files you can change this in the httpd.conf file.

The location of this file may be different than mine. Mine is located at /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf (Make a Backup!) You will need to change the Virtual Host settings for your website so it listens on port 8080. If you are using a cpanel install be aware that easyapache will overwrite your changes to this file if you change the apache configuration in WHM so you will want to make a backup of your modified file as well.

Restart your web server and verify that this is working properly before you try messing with varnish. You can verify this by visiting your website’s front page. It should be dead. Now vistit your website at port 8080, it should load as normal. Don’t bother trying to traverse through your website, only the first page will load correctly, after that magento will try to point you to your website without the port 8080.

service varnish start

Tweaks:
If you understand how <route>_<controller>_<action> works in magento you can add additional hole punching in app/design/frontend/base/default/layout/aoestaticdemo/aoestaticdemo.xml. but as I stated in my previous post the only thing missing is a hole punch for product availability.

If you have the following line in your .htaccess file it will need to be commented out, varnish can not handle User Agent entries in page headers.
#Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary

When everything is done you should end up with a fully integrated full page cache that will purge cache for individual products and categories when the item is saved from the back end or purchased from the front end. Saving a category purges the varnish cache for that category, same with CMS pages. With AOE Static in place you will still serve up varnish cache pages even when the customer has logged in or added products to thier cart. Only the routes set in “Disable caching for routes” will not be cached. And of course when the user is accessing VIA SSL.

Check your var/log/varnish_cache.log file for varnish cache purging logs and debugging info.

Things it wont do:

It will not automatically create cached pages, you have to visit them to cache them.
It will not purge cache when using bulk attribute updates.
Depending on the extensions you are using you may want to check the canonical url meta tag of pages generated by extensions that write there own canonical tags. For some reason they seem to output the alternate port that the web server is running on.(http://www.example.com:8080/content/created/by/extension.html) This is a problem for search engines.

Enjoy

Edit did I mention that I hate captcha?

File Attachments
AOE.zip  (File Size: 115KB - Downloads: 119)

Magento Community
Magento Community

stefanr91

stefanr91 - 15 May 2012 12:37 PM

Okay thanks! I will also have a look at it to see if I can find the problem. The strange thing is that I’ve used this extension for two weeks without problems, but since today I got this bug. If I can find something useful I will share here.

Little update about this hole punching problem. I added the following lines to my .htaccess

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/(.*)ezzoom/hole/fill(.*)
RewriteRule .* index.php [L]

And it looks like this fixed it, top links are working fine now.
Give it a try!

Magento Community
Magento Community

PCGamesPlus

Sacramento, CA

stefanr91 - 18 May 2012 07:29 AM

stefanr91 - 15 May 2012 12:37 PM

Little update about this hole punching problem. I added the following lines to my .htaccess

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/(.*)ezzoom/hole/fill(.*)
RewriteRule .* index.php [L]

And it looks like this fixed it, top links are working fine now.
Give it a try!

I tried adding the code to my .htacess file and for me it didn’t make a difference. Where exactly did you add the code?

Magento Community
Magento Community

stefanr91

PC Games Plus - 18 May 2012 08:21 AM

I tried adding the code to my .htacess file and for me it didn’t make a difference. Where exactly did you add the code?

Just at the top, but shouldn´t make much of a difference I think.
Have you enabled rewrites in your htaccess?

############################################
## enable rewrites

Options +FollowSymLinks
    RewriteEngine on

Magento Community
Magento Community

hankzh

Total Posts:  56

Thank you very much for the cod and details.

Tacgear - 17 May 2012 09:00 AM

FYI this is running on Magento 1.5.1 running LSWS over apache. But it will work just fine with straight apache. Instructions are the same. Other versions of Magento I don’t know about.

Backup your Data before installing this and make sure your magento install is running smoothly before installing this. Having a double caching system behind a reverse poxy makes it very confusing to troubleshoot other issues with dynamic content.

Get varnish > 3.0 installed and running, listening on port 8080 for the time being.

Grab my zip, extract and upload the app and js folders. Refresh magento cache, logout and login. Visit system > configuration > system and you will see configs for PageCache powered by varnish and AOE static. Configure them as follows:

AOE Static is simple:

cms_page_view;2592000,
catalog_product_view;2592000,
catalog_category_view;2592000,
catalog_category_layered;2592000

You can add more routes to this for content created by other extensions.

PageCache should be set as follows:

Enable cache module: Yes
Varnish servers: Your IP Address
Server port: 80
Disable caching: No
Disable caching for routes: (checkout customer moneybookers paypal wishlist catalogsearch) all on seperate lines.
Disable caching vars: currency,order
Default cache TTL: 2592000 (30 days)
Cache TTL for routes: (Remove all routes here, this is controlled by AOE Static)
Purge category: Yes
Purge product: Yes
Purge CMS page: Yes
Debug: Yes

Save and refresh cache.

The third folder in my zip contains my .vcl to use with varnish and my altered varnish startup file. You can change the startup file to use varnish data handling however you wish. I personally like using “persistant” because it creates and locks silos as it’s caching so when I reboot my server all my locked silos remain in place and I don’t have to recrawl my site.

You will need to change the IP addresses in the .vcl and the varnish startup file obviously. I’ve replaced my IP with “yourdedicatedipaddress”.

Put these files in place and

service varnish stop
from the shell.

Change your website’s listening port to 8080. If your using apache config files you can change this in the httpd.conf file.

The location of this file may be different than mine. Mine is located at /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf (Make a Backup!) You will need to change the Virtual Host settings for your website so it listens on port 8080. If you are using a cpanel install be aware that easyapache will overwrite your changes to this file if you change the apache configuration in WHM so you will want to make a backup of your modified file as well.

Restart your web server and verify that this is working properly before you try messing with varnish. You can verify this by visiting your website’s front page. It should be dead. Now vistit your website at port 8080, it should load as normal. Don’t bother trying to traverse through your website, only the first page will load correctly, after that magento will try to point you to your website without the port 8080.

service varnish start

Tweaks:
If you understand how <route>_<controller>_<action> works in magento you can add additional hole punching in app/design/frontend/base/default/layout/aoestaticdemo/aoestaticdemo.xml. but as I stated in my previous post the only thing missing is a hole punch for product availability.

If you have the following line in your .htaccess file it will need to be commented out, varnish can not handle User Agent entries in page headers.
#Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary

When everything is done you should end up with a fully integrated full page cache that will purge cache for individual products and categories when the item is saved from the back end or purchased from the front end. Saving a category purges the varnish cache for that category, same with CMS pages. With AOE Static in place you will still serve up varnish cache pages even when the customer has logged in or added products to thier cart. Only the routes set in “Disable caching for routes” will not be cached. And of course when the user is accessing VIA SSL.

Check your var/log/varnish_cache.log file for varnish cache purging logs and debugging info.

Things it wont do:

It will not automatically create cached pages, you have to visit them to cache them.
It will not purge cache when using bulk attribute updates.
Depending on the extensions you are using you may want to check the canonical url meta tag of pages generated by extensions that write there own canonical tags. For some reason they seem to output the alternate port that the web server is running on.(http://www.example.com:8080/content/created/by/extension.html) This is a problem for search engines.

Enjoy

Edit did I mention that I hate captcha?

Magento Community
Magento Community

PCGamesPlus

Sacramento, CA

stefanr91 - 18 May 2012 08:24 AM

PC Games Plus - 18 May 2012 08:21 AM

Just at the top, but shouldn´t make much of a difference I think.
Have you enabled rewrites in your htaccess?

############################################
## enable rewrites

Options +FollowSymLinks
    RewriteEngine on

I reinstalled the extension and rechecked my index.php & the .htaccess files. It still messes up the way my top links look though.

Image Attachments
Capture2.JPGCapture.JPG

Magento Community
Magento Community

HolDenWagenHarry

Total Posts:  19

I have also an issue with ezapps zoom. Everything works fine but in IE my toplinks and my minicart disappear after they have been cached. In Firefox hole punching is working fine. Does anybody know the solution? You will se it e.g. for this page:

http://www.takatomo.de/de/rice-kleine-becher-set-helle-farben.html

In Firefox you will see toplinks and minicart but not in IE :-(((

Maybe the styles are not working in IE??

.header .links, .header #ezzoom-links { float: right; font-size: 11px;}
.header .links a, .header #ezzoom-links .links a { color: #666; text-decoration: none; }

Magento Community
Magento Community

stefanr91

I maybe cheered too soon, my top links are filled only correctly on the home and category pages, but not on the product pages.

When I refresh a product page with zoom full page cache and hole filling on, the top links disappear.

Similar problem as HolDenWagenHarry and PC Games Plus I think.

Magento Community
Magento Community

HolDenWagenHarry

Total Posts:  19

Dear stefanr91,

but what is the difference between homepage/categorypage and a productpage? mhhm? Does your advanced search work?

Marcus

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 5