Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Poll
How easy was your update to 1.2.0.1
Worked like a charm 14
I had to make some minor ajustments, then it worked fine 12
I had to make the usual rights adjustments, then it worked fine 4
Although I made the usual adjustments, pieces of the site are still crashing 14
I have crashed and I am desparately hoping for some help from forums or dev team 21
I came, I tried, I switched back to the previous version 12
I will never update to a new version unless it is 3 weeks old 33
Total Votes: 110
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Your experience with updates to 1.2.0 and/or 1.2.0.1 ? 

Fibo

Total Posts:  107
Marseille, France

B-(( It seems that, as usual, the new versions have brought new features, new hassles, new problems.

What is your experience of this upgrade?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Senator

Total Posts:  37

All I’m sayin’ is that I cannot *wait* for the next update.  This version has been bug-tastical, LOL…

Magento Community
Magento Community

turbo1

Total Posts:  296
Los Angeles, CA

@Senator
Yup, my thoughts exactly. I still stand by my statement that 1.2.0 was RUSHED to beat some sort of deadline, and we’re all suffering for it as a result.

/done grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

mikej165

Total Posts:  89

I’m glad to see this poll and I hope it will get enough responses to provide a clearer picture of the current Magento update landscape. My personal feelings have already be posted elsewhere in these forums. In short, I think this is a great update - when it works. First-time installers are in a much better position than those, like myself, who are updating. I manage several live Magento stores and I won’t let this update anywhere near those servers yet. But I’m looking forward to the day when I can.

On the plus side, I can say without hesitation that this update has some serious back-end performance enhancements. For large sites there will be a definite noticeable improvement. For smaller sites or those just starting out, you may be able to get away with a less muscular server environment thanks to these optimizations.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Fibo

Marseille, France

Just a short snapshot before closing the poll and proposing conclusions.
Out of the 40 responses at this instant:
- 11 (27,5%) managed to get the update to work OK
- 17 (42,5%) were still fighting to make it work AT THE TIME WHEN THEY RESPONDED (they might have change situation since, but no way to know this thru the poll)
- 12 (30%) did not upgrade or reverted back (7,%)

Ignoring if additional votes follow the same pattern, I would propose 2 TEMPORARY conclusions:

- 1.2.0 and its sibling 1.2.0.1 (for the record, just issued some hours after) were not at the quality and safety levels that can be expected from a “STABLE-labelled” upgrade

- Magento dev team should question their quality assurance process and leave such version longer in a BETA state, so that the upgrade is not silently forced to users and more debugging is made

Magento Community
Magento Community

kiatng
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  875
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Fibo, I agree 100% with your conclusion. Upgrading shouldn’t be a scary experience, but it is with Magento.

Magento Community
Magento Community

wsj3
Guru

Total Posts:  521
Portland, OR

The bigger question has Magento indicated how far off a stable .release is? I’d really like to use the features and fixes in 1.2, but am being patient.... :>

Magento Community
Magento Community

Daynos

Total Posts:  98
Rennes, Bretagne

Unfortunately, this poll will be mostly seen by people browsing a forum dedicated to upgrade issues. Hard to get feedback here from people who had no problem ! I would have like to know which config they have, how they did, if it was their first upgrade or if they update Magento since the first beta… Can be sure that something in the 1.1.0, updated to 1.1.4 then to 1.1.8, without upgrading to 1.1.5/6/7, is not now an issue in the 1.2.0.1 ? An issue that people upgrading from 1.1.8 won’t have as they where before on a fresh install of the 1.1.8… Do you see what I mean ? :D

As far as I’m concerned, I’ve done all upgrades since 1.1.0, and I had to do a full “clean” install of 1.2.0.1 OVER the 1.1.8 database to get the 1.2.0.1 usable. But I still have some bugs with catagories, client information update…

Magento Community
Magento Community

B. D.

Total Posts:  13

Hi guys,

May be Magento should integrate a beta life-cycle for its new releases ? All this is just a matter of communication, i think.

Marking new versions with beta is a strong message to warn about the risks.

Regards,

X

Magento Community
Magento Community

GPutignano

Total Posts:  214
Lauria - Italy

I get error both with Magento 1.2 and 1.2.0.1.
I suggest a 3-4 months of development without new feature but only bug fix with regular weekly release.
Once Magento will be stable continue adding new feature.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Fibo

Marseille, France

@daynos: I agree with you, no poll can pretend to be a perfect mirror of reality. And in the case of this poll, certainly people with problems will be more prone, while they serach for solutions, to find this poll. While problemless people will probably not see the poll, even if I have been posting on “success” threads.

What it shows though is that qualifying 1.2.0 and 1.2.0.1 as “stable” was probably not appropriate.

Maybe Varien should consider an interim state between beta and stable, such as RC (release candidate) with the meaning ‘we feel pretty confident that this is working on all the machines we have tested, but we do not pretend that it is stable until lots of people have installed without problem’.

Qualifying the relase as “stable” had the unfortunate side-effect that in lots of cases users were not offered the possiblity to opt-out. THAT was, in opinion, the mistake.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Daynos

Total Posts:  98
Rennes, Bretagne

You know, I’m agree with you wink

The most upsating point is that I did all update since the launch of 1.1.0 without any problem, and the last update before launching my best friend shop was that one that brings bugs :/ And no possiblity to roll back as she was filling products all week long…

Magento Community
Magento Community

elfling
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  899

Greeaaat… 1.2.0.2 has just buggered everrrrrrrrrryyyyyyything and its stuck on package cannot be found.

Time to delete and rename files.

Starting to not trust Magento updates

///# EDIT

Meh, is all a learning curve at the end of the day and every error brings with it a solution. Thats what this place is about right? coming together to find solutions to improve the product.

Magento Community
Magento Community

int2k

Total Posts:  244
Bandung, Indonesia

I haven’t done any more upgrade since 1.1.6 oh oh
only once i do an upgrade to 1.1.8 which is on my crash-test site
but still I only develop using 1.1.6

I’m planned to do some upgrade when all of my development process is finished
but might be it won’t be a big jump on the version number though

I’m already suspect something like this will come up
history could confirm you that rasberry

some codes that work on older version, some times just won’t work on newer version
and to make it worse, it just come without a warning.

just my 2 c

Magento Community
Magento Community

Fibo

Marseille, France

Snapshot of the situation 01/15, 2009

We can consider now that the situation is pretty well stabilized and that there will be no significant percentage change.

-- Number of tallied responses: 76 (for >500 views of the post)

-- Successful change, with minor adjustments if needed: 19 (25.0% of total tallied responses)

-- Change made but not yet fully operational, waiting for some divine intervention from the community/forums of from the dev team: 29 (38.2%)

- Still in previous version: 28 (37.8%), of which 7 (9% total responses) switched back.

HOW TO INTERPRET THESE FIGURES?- there are some biases you need to be aware to interpret these figures:
happy upgraders are underrepresented, since they are less inclined to search thru the forums for a bug they did not meet
—the poll does not allow answerers to change their response later. This means that since they answered, people might be in a different situation (eg, solving all their problems and going “up” or finding problems they had not met yet and thus going “down")

HOWEVER the heavy figures of unsatisfied persons should ring an alarm bell at Varien to improve the quality of the upgrade process in several areas:
-- the upgrade process itself seems to ignore problems with access rights, ie assuming a level that is not part of real life. As a result,
—some parts of upgrades canNOT be achieved, and the warnings from Magento-Connect are not relayed as visibly as they should; this seems to have created a major problem with 1.2.0.x where parts of the upgrade could not be transferred
—some upgrades, successful as far as file transfers are concerned, are rendered UNsuccessful because they leave rights too lax (dirs at 777, files at 666 where it should be 755 and 644) and this is blocked by the hosting providers
- the versioning system should be improved:
longer observation period between a time when a version is first released as “beta” and then switched to “stable”, maybe as I said earlier with an addition ”release candidate” step
NO SILENT UPGRADE without asking ..

this upgrade or new function you install will require that you upgrade Magento from your current version 1.1.X to 1.2.0.x. Which option do you select:
—cancel this operation
—get a previous version (x.x) of the funtion you want to install: this is compatible with your current Magento version 1.1.X
—I want first to achieve a successful upgrade to 1.2.0.x, the testing, before installing this function
—I want to proceed: install the function and make all necessary upgrades (I understand it is not wise to do that on a production system)

Your suggestions and conclusions of these proposal are welcome, we need to make constructive propoosals…

Magento Community
Magento Community

psylvia

Total Posts:  6
Orlando, Florida - USA

My experience shows that 1.16 is the stable version and anything beyond has had some major issues.  Don’t get me wrong, the Magento team is producing an awesome product at an unbelievable deal.  In a year or two we will look back and laugh but until then we just have to use what works.

Anyone that has a serious issue with the magento team needs to seriously thing about what they are getting for FREE!  Yeah it has issues but it’s still in its infancy.  Just don’t install the upgrades on your production server until you are positive that it works with your system that’s all.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2