Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 3 of 3
Want to save time If only I knew this In the beginning Add your Hot timesaving Tip

Frederik Krautwald

Total Posts:  58
Reykjavík, Iceland

Electric-dsctc - 29 January 2008 08:35 AM

now, adding a link :
if you look at the code above you’ll see that the link is done with <action method="something"> ; there is a method called “addLink” , wich does.....a link, obviously .  tongue wink

<block type="page/html_toplinks" name="top.links" as="topLinks">
                    <
action method="addLink"><li/><a>href="{{baseUrl}}your/link/here"</a><labelHome </label></action>
</
block>

the {{baseUrl}} thing adds your site path.

Hope this helps...thanks to all the people that help me get to this!

It sure does—EXCEPT—your last piece of code with addLink method produces an error. So no luck again. I will keep searching for more info on this method.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

wwessie

Total Posts:  63

mathilda - 01 May 2008 01:21 AM

Thanks a lot for all your helpful posts!

One question to the search bar position change:

Bill007 - 08 February 2008 03:25 AM

Find the code in app/design/frontend/your_interface/your_new_theme/layout/catalogsearch.xml
find the <reference name="header"> this is where we can change the position we do how ever need it to stay in the header as it will then show on every page

<default>

<
reference name="header">
            <
block type="core/template" name="top.search" as="topSearch" template="catalogsearch/form.mini.phtml"/>
        </
reference>
    </default>

I get stuck here. Do I have to change this code or not, since the search box should remain in the header block? 

With the above code as it is, my searchbox doesn´t move down, no matter how I change the css (cache and everything is sorted out).

Thanks!

Me having the same problem,
I have change the padding form mini-search in boxes.css
Then the search bar came down and wore in right place form me.

Magento Community
Magento Community

damian_nik

Total Posts:  10

To anyone having an issue moving the search bar into the nav bar this is the steps i took;

1. In styles.css add the following to .header .form-search so that it reads

.header .form-search { text-align:centre; position:absolute; left:800px; top:94px; }

2. Open firebug, inspect the element form-search and update the css coding so that it positions it right for your page, then make the changes in your style.css file.

I tried making the changes originally inside boxes.css but for some reason this css file is not loaded by my home page (doesnt exist in my blank theme either).

Magento Community
Magento Community

sahuspilwal

Total Posts:  37
Hastings, United Kingdom

My Hint/Tip

If you move your categories around (i.e. within another folder / move outside a sub folder to root etc) in the Manage Categories section in the Admin Panel please ensure you Rebuild Catalog Index. This can be achieved by accessing System > Cache Management module within the Admin Panel and choosing “Rebuild Catalog Index”.

This will refresh the index and display the catalog correctly as you had set it in Manage Categories.

Magento Community
Magento Community

majin

Total Posts:  3

great stuff here. 1 question: how do i change the zip\postal to just ‘postal’ I live in UK and could do without the ZIP bit. What file do i need to change? I know its one of the .phtml files but after chnaging several files and clearing cache, nothing has changed and it stil zip/postal

Image Attachments
billling info.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community

ShopMagCart

Total Posts:  70

majin - 26 October 2009 04:42 AM

great stuff here. 1 question: how do i change the zip\postal to just ‘postal’ I live in UK and could do without the ZIP bit. What file do i need to change? I know its one of the .phtml files but after chnaging several files and clearing cache, nothing has changed and it stil zip/postal

You may have better success starting a new thread since this one is dedicated to tips to save you time.

Magento Community
Magento Community

majin

Total Posts:  3

did but got no response

Magento Community
Magento Community

benz001

Total Posts:  238
Sydney

To try and answer majin’s question without derailing the thread:

Use Magento’s Language Translation for minor text changes

Many (if not all) headings and labels in magento can be quickly modified without searching for hours through the templates by using the built in translation tools. It took me a while before I realised how quick and easy this method is for doing minor changes, deciding when its appropriate is another issue though…

So to take just a completely random example, if you want to change Zip/Postal to just Postal (because in your local area Zip is irrelevant) you can do this by:
System > Configuration >Translate Inline > Enable for Frontend
Now navigate on the front end of your site to the text you want to change - look for the red boxes around text, any of these can be changed
Hover over a red box to see a dictionary icon, click this icon to edit the text

Beware - when you turn this on any visitors to your site will be able to use it to (unless you set it up properly first - search the wiki for more info) so don’t do this on a live store!!!

Very quick and easy, and I wish someone had told me about this on day 1!
(majin if you need to discuss Zip/Postal further PM me a link to the other thread you created)

Magento Community
Magento Community

mageT

Total Posts:  1

Fall in love with this post! Thanks Bill....

I am beginner and I also want to design and develop something like http://www.greenstone.maori.nz.
Certain Issues for me are:-
1. how to have products on home page.
2. how to have “Shop by” navigation in left.

If could design and develop like http://www.greenstone.maori.nz, I’ll be greatful to u.
I can move the blocks(like newsletter, polling, cart, callouts etc) right and left. But I don’t know where I should write code for creating my own Block.
Also please refer some link(s) to understand magento’s flow control and XMLs specially…

Thanks and Regard

Image Attachments
greenstone.JPG

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bill007

Total Posts:  179
New Zealand

I’m getting dragged back into this magento you would not believe how many people actually email me about this post
and my Demo site will try to spend some time here soon

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bill007

New Zealand

How to change your Theme

if you go to System/Design and then click on the Add Design Change button… you can tell it to use the new design site-wide...

Regards Bill

Magento Community
Magento Community

Razmatazed

Total Posts:  27
Sun Prairie Wisconsin

This is all so beautiful! The documentation is hard to find.. For instance, with the base files in reference to the multiple sites, they don’t tell you that you have to copy all base files over to the new sites in order to make the work :(

Most documentation doesn’t even reference “base” folders, however only mention the default/default. I think I spent a good 2 hours trying to find 1/2 the files I needed in the default/default not realizing that the base/default was a new edition.

They also don’t mention that the default advertisements are located in the .xml files rather then in a .phtml file or better yet a static block! Still trying to figure that one out....

So in short…
thank you thank you thank you thank you :D

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bill007

New Zealand

For those of you Struggling On left hand Navigation
here is a really solid Left Hand Navigation Tutorial with CODE

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/91627/

Bill

Magento Community
Magento Community

guido7

Total Posts:  40

great thread!  wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

reshel

Total Posts:  38
East Texas

tip on email templates and getting your logo.gif working in the system emails.

i had a problem with my logo.gif not showing up after a whole day of wondering why the logo was on the right path but the old default magento logo.gif was still showing in my thunderbird email on the local Pc aftre receiving the emails.

After searching the forums I saw alot of people having this problem and some guys out here fiddling with the coding to get it to show when it was working all along.. hours of thought.. loosing a day of work..

decided to look on my web server and it showed good and in the admin panel it looked good but when i sent the email down to my local PC in Mozilla thunderbird the old magento logo was viewing

solution:

clear the cache on your local email client and the logo will change immediately..

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 3 of 3