Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento Upgrade (1.4.1.1 to 1.5 & 1.5 to 1.6) Issues

zigojacko

Total Posts:  13

Migrated a clients Magento (1.4.1.1) website over to one of our dev domains to perform an upgrade test and has encountered a ton of issues so far…

Firstly, what exactly should be the correct procedure for an upgrade? We performed the upgrade via SSH, firstly from 1.4.1.1 to 1.5 (we got this working perfectly after resolving errors along the way) and then from 1.5 to 1.6 (which has created a ton of problems).

Surely the upgrade via SSH should run more smoothly that it does.

Secondly, after the upgrade to 1.6, loads of our clients original files are no longer on the server… For example in /app/etc/modules - a lot of the XML files from 3rd party modules are no longer here - surely an upgrade from 1.5 to 1.6 doesn’t wipe everything and replace with core files does it? That would just be completely absurd.

Nothing loads at the front end or back end any more, just attempts to connect in browser for ages until it times out so it’s impossible to diagnose the problem. I know that the SQL updates did reach the last one in the folder though but now not entirely sure where to go from here. If the upgrade has wiped original files then maybe the problem could be there?

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated. Or even a link to an official, correct and working upgrade installation document would be useful (we’ve followed tons of documentation for this all to no avail currently).

Thanks in advance.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Brent W Peterson

Total Posts:  3217
Minneapolis MN

First I would read some of the procedures I mapped out here

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/1_-_installation_and_configuration/manual_upgrade_using_fresh_install_and_original_database?do=show

Your upgrade should not remove anything, unless they were in core areas, and again, it would leave them if they were names something other than a Magento core module.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Alexandrable

Total Posts:  55

Have you thought of an alternative to the actual upgrade? You can make a brand new installation of Magento 1.6 and then move all your product, customer and order data there. It seems too complicated, but it actually isn’t.

If you’d consider this, you can move all your data to the new Magento with any type of import/migration extensions or services. There’s this you can try: http://www.shopping-cart-migration.com/supported-carts/55-magento

Think about it

Magento Community
Magento Community

tonylee5566

Total Posts:  6

thanks the information !!

Magento Community
Magento Community

VirGG

Total Posts:  3

I agree that migration is a good alternative to upgrading. I have read an article which has an interesting info on the issue
you can follow it here http://www.shopping-cart-migration.com/useful-articles/42-magento/4416-magento-upgrade-or-migrate

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community