Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Sessions are being lost - Customers are redirected to home page

zadpro

Total Posts:  247
FL, USA

I had this problem on previuos versions and apperantly it is still exist (or I would say it is worse now).
During normal visit to my site (http://www.bargaincollection.com) you will notice that you will be redirected to home page (index.php) randomly because the session is getting lost. If you are logged in or have any product in your cart, you will be logged out and/or all products will be removed from your cart and you have to start over.
I am receivning emails from my customers that this has been happening to them alot. There are others that are able to check out.
Is anybody else experiencing this or have a solution?

Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

paulpemby

Total Posts:  17

I am also experiencing this problem and have posted on other threads for help but no-one seems to be able to tell what is causing the problem. A bug issue was raised but closed without a resolution.
Does anyone know how to resolve the timeout error?

Magento Community
Magento Community

markf

Total Posts:  145

Regarding the sessions being lost, have you tried changing the way the sessions are stored? 

I know there are 2 options, file system or DB… maybe try whatever you’re not currently using and see if that changes anything.

Magento Community
Magento Community

paulpemby

Finally I have managed to find what was causing my problem with IE7 and sessions ending early. The cause seems to be with RSS feeds. If your user is subscribed to your RSS feeds when your machine checks for new feeds it seems to treat this as a new session and therefore issues a new session for your website. Not sure if there is any way to work around this so I’m just going to turn them all off.
Hope this also fixes problems for others.

Magento Community
Magento Community

paulpemby

ZadPro, I visited your site, subscribed to one of your RSS links and when refreshing outlook had exactly the same problem. If I unsubscribe the problem seems to go away.

Bug has been reported #9921 hopefully a fix can be found.

Magento Community
Magento Community

zadpro

Total Posts:  247
FL, USA

paulpemby - 05 January 2009 03:38 PM

ZadPro, I visited your site, subscribed to one of your RSS links and when refreshing outlook had exactly the same problem. If I unsubscribe the problem seems to go away.

Bug has been reported #9921 hopefully a fix can be found.

Thanks for your reply. That is very wiered bug...... I hope you are right. . . Let see if it happensa again.

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

golles

Total Posts:  257

We had the same issues the following changes worked for us:

admin > system > configuration > web > session validation settings

set all to ‘no’

we have only done this on our dev systems and you need to be aware of that the above changes set all validation to off in essence. but it appears to get rid of the issues you highlight in this thread.

Magento Community
Magento Community

patrecord
Guru

Total Posts:  461

golles - 06 January 2009 12:44 AM

We had the same issues the following changes worked for us:

admin > system > configuration > web > session validation settings

set all to ‘no’

we have only done this on our dev systems and you need to be aware of that the above changes set all validation to off in essence. but it appears to get rid of the issues you highlight in this thread.

thx...works for me;)

Magento Community
Magento Community

scjunkies

Total Posts:  55
Houston, Texas, USA

It worked for me on Magento 1.2.1 but what are the consequences of this?  I heard that potentially one customer could accidentally log into another customers account. Is this possible? Has anyone heard of this happening?

Magento Community
Magento Community

markf

Total Posts:  145

I have tried all the above solutions and nothing works.  I was ok on 1.1.8, but now having the issue on 1.2.1.1. 

Anyone know what this new setting “Use Http Only” does?  Its in with the cookie settings.  Was not there in 1.1.8.

Magento Community
Magento Community

s4_optics

Total Posts:  56

scjunkies - 20 February 2009 08:12 AM

It worked for me on Magento 1.2.1 but what are the consequences of this?  I heard that potentially one customer could accidentally log into another customers account. Is this possible? Has anyone heard of this happening?

...Not exactly but, we have a couple of orders in version 1.3.2.3 where an order is placed and the wrong customer information gets posted.

For instance, today we got an order, and when we select the order to view the details, the customer information of the order before this one comes up on this order. So, the new order is pulling the customer info from the last order. The only thing that helped us verify the correct person who ordered is that we got the PayPal verification which shows a different person’s info than Magento shows.

If this is not a BUG then I don’t know what is. Has anyone experienced this problem?

Magento Community
Magento Community

hm894

Is this still happening for anyone?  This has been going on the last few days for me -

“For instance, today we got an order, and when we select the order to view the details, the customer information of the order before this one comes up on this order. So, the new order is pulling the customer info from the last order. The only thing that helped us verify the correct person who ordered is that we got the PayPal verification which shows a different person’s info than Magento shows. ”

I’m using version 1.4.0.1

Magento Community
Magento Community

aenogym

Total Posts:  4

I know this is an old thread, but we experienced a similar issue where sessions got lost all the time.
our system runs on two identical servers that are managed via a load balancer.
somehow, one of the server’s system time got off one hour, so the sessions expired randomly.

so, if you’re running magento load-balanced on multiple machines, double check the system time on all machines to be identical!

aeno

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community