Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How can I add a custom discount field to the Magento admin? 

tinselworm

Total Posts:  19

Hi again,

How can I add a CUSTOM discount field to the Magento back end?
It would be similar to the discount coupon field, except it would allow an admin to enter a fixed price discount.
Let’s say for arguments sake, the admin agreed to knock a very specific value of $17.99 off an order total.

We already have a big list of discount codes that give admin the ability to discount orders by percentages or fixed price, but no way of offering a CUSTOM fixed price discount.

Any thoughts?!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

kab8609
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  821
Cleveland

From your description above, you are talking about a Simple Catalog Price Rule (Admin Menu -> Promotions -> Catalog Price Rule).

See screenshots

Image Attachments
Screen shot 2012-02-27 at 5.26.35 PM.pngScreen shot 2012-02-27 at 5.27.00 PM.png

Magento Community
Magento Community

tinselworm

kab8609 - 27 February 2012 01:28 PM

From your description above, you are talking about a Simple Catalog Price Rule (Admin Menu -> Promotions -> Catalog Price Rule).

See screenshots

Hey Kris,

Thanks for the reply! You did mean Catalog price rules right? It’s just that your screen shots show Shopping Cart price rules.

Anyway that aside, the problem is, as far as I can tell (and correct me if I’m wrong) that we would have to create the catalog price rule BEFORE creating the order?

The thing is, it never works like that. If we’re talking to the customer on the phone and they ask for a discount, this won’t happen until the point that we’re about to finalise the order, right before clicking the “submit order” button.
What I was ideally looking for is a field like the “apply coupon code” box which is on the final page before confirming the order (if the order is being entered in the back end).
Rather than entering a code though, this box would be used for entering a custom discount value and clicking apply would recalculate the order total to take into account whatever value the discount was.

I’m sure someone must’ve written something like this before, it seems like such an obvious feature to be lacking from Magento?

Magento Community
Magento Community

kab8609
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  821
Cleveland

tinselworm - 27 February 2012 02:10 PM

kab8609 - 27 February 2012 01:28 PM

See screenshots

Hey Kris,

Thanks for the reply! You did mean Catalog price rules right? It’s just that your screen shots show Shopping Cart price rules.

Anyway that aside, the problem is, as far as I can tell (and correct me if I’m wrong) that we would have to create the catalog price rule BEFORE creating the order?

The thing is, it never works like that. If we’re talking to the customer on the phone and they ask for a discount, this won’t happen until the point that we’re about to finalise the order, right before clicking the “submit order” button.
What I was ideally looking for is a field like the “apply coupon code” box which is on the final page before confirming the order (if the order is being entered in the back end).
Rather than entering a code though, this box would be used for entering a custom discount value and clicking apply would recalculate the order total to take into account whatever value the discount was.

I’m sure someone must’ve written something like this before, it seems like such an obvious feature to be lacking from Magento?

Hey there,
Well out of the box, Magento has two ways. You can either put a “custom price” on the product that is ordered to change the price, or apply an already existing coupon code (see screenshot).

If you do a custom price, the user won’t see it as a coupon.
If you do it through the existing coupon code technology, they will see it as a coupon.

You are right, Magento doesn’t have a “create a coupon” on the fly, although they have the custom price alternative.

Although you want a fixed price coupon code, how are you coming up with the fixed price? You could have a series of 5%, 10%, 15% off coupon codes already developed which could bring it to the correct price.

Image Attachments
Screen shot 2012-02-28 at 11.37.11 AM.png

Magento Community
Magento Community

tinselworm

Hey Kris,

I hear ya. I’m aware of both those approaches, and we do intend to use both of them (due to launch on Magento Enterprise in a few more weeks).

We already have over 50 internal discount codes set up for fixed and percentage discounts, but it still doesn’t give us ultimate control.

The thing is, we may want to round a price to the nearest full pound (or dollar, whatever smile )
This could be for any number of reasons. Say we’re bartering with a customer on the phone over a price of 1099.21 and agree to sell at 1000.00 to seal the deal.
Or that we’re selling something to a customer at our trade counter and rather than charge then 51.64, we want to reduce it to a straight 50.00 to do the customer a favour.
Discount codes can’t do this. Custom prices can, BUT let’s say the amount of 51.71 is actually formed of 4 products priced at 12.91 (51.64 / 4 = 12.91) then we have to do the following maths: 51.64 - 50 = 1.64 / 4 = 0.41.  So we have to reduce the unit price of the product to 12.91 - 0.41 = 12.50 in order to achieve a total price of 50.00

Now I’m not saying the maths is difficult, but it’s not exactly a straightforward way of applying a discount is it!?.
Why would Magento not just have a custom discount field to make this process so much easier?

I think Magento’s a fantastic package, but it’s an occasional lack of basic features like this that make me think Magento wasn’t developed by people who actually work in retail!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

schwipps

Total Posts:  12

+1. Couldn’t have explained it better.
What’s been explained is a must have.
I’d just add that this discount has to be appliable and visible trhough the cart as the customer still need to validate his order and pay it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tinselworm

That’s a good point. I hadn’t really considered this as I was referring to the back end only when I raised this question. Reason being, it’s not often that customers that shop online call up to negotiate a discount and then go back to complete their order on the website.

If a customer calls up to negotiate a discount, we would usually complete the sale over the phone to make sure we clinch it, hence the requirement for the custom discount field in the back end only.

But everyone has different requirements.

I would add that we still haven’t resolved this — the minute you ask anything more than a basic question around here everyone goes silent.
But we’re in a fortunate position where we have full time developers working on the store so we’ll probably end up asking them to write some custom code to accomodate this feature at some point.
But it amazes me that it isn’t a core feature of Magento already.

Magento Community
Magento Community

justin00

Total Posts:  28

This is a built-in function that Magento must have in future version.

Urgently looking forward to having this soon!

Magento Community
Magento Community

rgeyer

Total Posts:  4

Hi tinselworm,

I also need this functionality, did you find any solution or start any development ?

Regards,

Raphael

Magento Community
Magento Community

Hiboo

Total Posts:  14

I would need this too… Right now I have to divide the discount and split it into ‘’custom prices’’ for each product.

If only we could use negative values in the ‘’custom price’’ then an easy solution would be to create a product called ‘’Custom Discount’’ and setting the value of the discount in the ‘’custom prices’’

Would anyone know where to look in order to allow negative values in the ‘’custom price’’ field?

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

rebeccama

Total Posts:  110

You can use price calculator if you want to have discount field for each product.  This extension allows you to create rules in which you can define discount.

http://www.fmeextensions.com/magento-length-area-volume-pricing-calculator.html

Or else you can use Custom stock pricing but i am not sure if it provides new field at the backend.

http://www.fmeextensions.com/magento-custom-stock-labels.html

Magento Community
Magento Community

Cheung

Total Posts:  30
Seattle, WA

I am looking for a solution for this as well. The problem with the admin custom price is that it does not show it as a discount. I’ve searched high and low but can’t find an extension for this either.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community