Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Having a flash movie per product

davidrtk

Total Posts:  7

I have been going at this for a couple of days now. I need to have a flash movie as a part of each product. Each movie is particular to each product. I tried creating an attribute that contained the movie file name and within the attributes.phtml I had the code that read the file name and displayed the movie.

I am thinking there has to be a better way to do this. Has anyone figured out how to do this? or a better way that I though of?

Thank you

D-

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

davidrtk

Total Posts:  7

Thank you ... how can I pull the specific value for that attribute? do you have some sample code?

Magento Community
Magento Community

harry12bar

Total Posts:  168

HI, simply insert movie attribute (text field). Then when entering each product there will be a text field for eg Youtube code.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nikefido
Guru

Total Posts:  481
New Haven, CT

I think I would have used ExternalInterface (flash class of static methods) to pass data from javascript to your flash movie. That would be easier (on the server) than writing a .php script that outputs XML for the flash movie to read (which is the other way I would go).

You need to decide if you want to do that, as people can turn off javascript support in their browsers.

But that would be so you only have one .swf file that changes dynamically vs one swf file per product. (This point is moot, however, if you are loading actual movie files, such as .flv files, because then you are loading a decent amount of data on each product page in any case - If you are doing that, I would suggest using a streaming server if you have a decent amount of traffic on your site!)

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community