Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Upgrade 1.3.2.4 to latest

rickert

Total Posts:  47

Hi,

I’m planning to upgrade 1.3.2.4 to the latest stable version.

I will copy the live environment (files + database) and perform the update in the copy using the connect manager. I want to take my time for this upgrade because I read the’re can be a lot of problems/issues (theme, extentions, core mods etc) that need to be addressed.

So when I finish fixing all problems the upgraded copy will work smoothly (I hope) and I can replace the live environment with the upgraded copy. That is: files only because the upgraded database will be outdated. So how to upgrade the live database?

I’m thinking of making a second copy of the live environment right before I actually start upgrading the live environment., upgrade this second copy using the connect manager and than copy the upgraded database back to the live environment together with the upgraded files of the first copy.

What do you think. Will this have a chance?

Thanks for your comments.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

VK4KBG

Total Posts:  104
Beerwah. Queensland. Australia

Hi, How did you get on with this project.

Cheers
Ron

Magento Community
Magento Community

rickert

Total Posts:  47

I finished this just a couple of days ago. It took me about 2 weeks before I had all problems solved. It was a hell of a lot of work and I must say I’m a bit disappointed with the functionality that I gained with this upgrade. But I had to because some extentions were not available for 1.3.4.2.

I changed my plan by the way: Copied a fresh 1.6.2 Magento zipfile and a copy of my live database to a new environment. Installing 1.6.2 automatically upgrades the 1.3.4.2 database to 1.6.2. as well. After that I installed the theme for 1.6.2 *). Than the bugfixing / reapplying core mod fase started which took me a lot of time. Part of it my own fault ofcourse because you should not modify the core. Record the things you do/change to this database because you have to repeat these later!

When I was satisfied with the result I upgraded the live database again (using another fresh 1.6.2 Magento zip file), and copied the files from the upgrade environment to production plus the most recent upgraded database as well. Last I applied the recorded changes to the database again.  Taaadaaa.

*) I also copied (manually) my 1.3.4.2 extentions (source) to this 1.6.2 environment, and in my case most of these extensions still worked so that was lucky. If not I removed source and database-info manually.

Magento Community
Magento Community

shoptoylife

Total Posts:  58

We’re also running 1.3.4 and it’s been a daunting start to figure out the best way to go about this, especially with an established store.  What I had thought about doing was to have the upgrade store parallel to the existing store...duplicate the database then start to work off of that.  the biggest issues I see are both in the database upgrade and also then template itself.  I can remember how much time it took to set up the store the first time.

Might be picking your brain for some thoughts!

Magento Community
Magento Community

NickBerg

Total Posts:  11

Hi,

I had similar problem and decided it in another way. I didn’t upgrade my magento store I have migrated it. Actually much easier and faster. I used cart2cart http://www.shopping-cart-migration.com/ Pretty happy with it.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community