Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Adding Vertical Navigation to Home Page

Steven Broome

Total Posts:  30

Can anyone tell me how I can add a vertical navigation to the home page of the Modern Theme, that can be edited in the admin panel?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

TolputtKeeton

Total Posts:  54

Hi Did you manage to figure this out as i also need to know this????

Magento Community
Magento Community

Raptor Commerce (toby)

Total Posts:  180

There used to be some code hanging around in the Magento installation that could be enabled to do this (with a bit of work). Sadly it was never really supported and the new flat category structure broke it completely. So these days you have to write your own vertical navigation system. If there’s enough demand we might write something ourselves ... it could be a nice fit with our Supermenu extension

Toby

Magento Community
Magento Community

melindabooy

Total Posts:  5

I am using the Modern Theme and am planning to write my own vertical navigation on the Home page which will link to each of the Category and Sub Category landing pages. How do I write the links to these pages? Do I just do it with a normal <a href=""> or do I need to, some how, use the dynamic blocks?

Magento Community
Magento Community

satish
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  812
34,mantri Sadan,Shivaji Nagar,Nagpur,MS,India 4400

Try following extension

Vertical Navigation with CSS Classes- http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/763/vertical-navigation-with-css-classes

Satish

Magento Community
Magento Community

melindabooy

Total Posts:  5

Satish
Thanks for your reply. I think i am getting the hang of doing the links. In the end I took a look at how they were coded in CMS home page in Magento’s Demo admin panel at http://demo-admin.magentocommerce.com/index.php/admin/

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community