Magento Forum

Has anyone got the 1.2.0 upgrade to work? 

Joey H

Total Posts:  49
St. Louis, MO

Has anyone got this to upgrade to work? How long do most people wait to upgrade this on the live sites?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

mikej165

Total Posts:  89

Joey H - 02 January 2009 05:55 AM

Has anyone got this to upgrade to work? How long do most people wait to upgrade this on the live sites?

Joey, many people, myself included, have experienced problems with the 1.2 update. About 8 hours after that was released, Magento pushed the 1.2.0.1 update. This seems to have fixed some but not all of the problems. The most affected users are those upgrading from prior versions. It seems wise to wait just a little bit until the dust settles. In fact, I generally feel that the best course of action immediately after an update is to do nothing - at least for a while.

Magento Community
Magento Community

turbo1

Total Posts:  296
Los Angeles, CA

Joey, please, do yourself a favor and wait - 1.2.0.x has serious issues. Especially if you’re upgrading from 1.1.8 or have ever had MyISAM/InnoDB complications.  Mike is absolutely right, just wait it out.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mbguy

Total Posts:  14

We have not launched yet, we had planned on launching on the first, but we upgraded to 1.2.1 when it came out because we figured we weren’t live yet, so we have no huge risk.

However, now we are having 2 major issues that have prevented us from launching.

1. Mini Search (the search on all pages except advanced search) does not work

2. Secure Checkout is gone, we can manually put in the “s” after “http” and it works, but the site will not take users to the secure checkout automatically.

These two issues are huge and are preventing us from launching. We could revert back, but have decided to wait for a release with fixes to come out. So we are behind schedule now. We have looked around and tried all recommended solutions with no legitimate fixes for our remaining two issues.

Join us in praying for a new release asap so we can go live. I feel bad for live stores that upgraded, but they should know better. We made a big mistake, but since we weren’t live yet, it is not too big of a deal to delay launch.

Now, just to be clear, no matter what the issues are, based on our developers’ and outside recommendations, we refuse to use any other ecommerce application other than magento. Magento rules, and just like all others, there are issues, but when factoring all apps against each other, magento is by far the best.

Please come out with an update soon.............................

Magento Community
Magento Community

Senator

Total Posts:  37

Fair enough.

Joey H: we use a UAT server to make sure an update works and is fully functional before rolling it out to the production server.  This process is by no means quick - we try to make it as thorough as possible, with users testing each and every aspect of their daily tasks.  It could take weeks, depending on the complexity of the software.  By doing this we can ensure that the production server doesn’t suffer from it.  It’s obviously a little resource intensive, but it’s worth it to avoid downtime and endless headaches.

You should *never* update a production server without going through some sort of UAT process first. 

All that being said, we seem to be running 1.2.0.1 without *too* many issues on our UAT server.  Still, I agree with all the other posters - wait to upgrade for the next update.  1.2.0.1 is *not* production-ready.  Getting it to where it is now has been a series of monster headaches. Hopefully the next update will be a bit less… inconvenient.

Magento Community
Magento Community

iboxsecuritydotnet

Total Posts:  18

i have two magento installations for different customers one of which updated absolutely fine and the other didnt both were running 1.8 pretty much stock installation not many modifications at all only styles mostly. However the one that didnt work too well seems fine from the outside yet the admin whenever any changes are made will not apply them so if i changed something in the admin by the time the page had reloaded the values would be as before and not updated. Any one experienced this when upgrading to 1.2.0.1? Any ideas on the issue?

Magento Community
Magento Community

lynnspain

Total Posts:  65
Baleares, Spain

when I upgraded from previous version it was to a totally clean install, no changes or additions and with sample data.  I used connect manager to upgrade all seemed ok at first, then I noticed that the ADmin categories would not work and some links. I then did a “core latest” upgrade and there were at least 6 files upgraded that had not apeared previously. Then when I refreshed as per instructions that was it.  Front end and back end I get this....

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@mydomain.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.2.10 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.10 OpenSSL/0.9.8i DAV/2 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at www.mydomain.com Port 80

I have no access to anything PLEASE PLEASE someone help!

Magento Community
Magento Community

turbo1

Los Angeles, CA

@lynnspain
Have you tried replacing the .htaccess file in your root with the one provided by Magento? Just make sure it’s called “.htaccess” (without the quotes).  It *might* work.

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  796

@turbo1: as I’ve seen a number of your posts in the forum today I wanted to throw my hat in as one of the many that are running 1.2.0.1 without incident. I’ve done an upgrade from 1.1.8 on a couple of servers and a fresh install on one.

* This flurry of messages in the forum seems very consistent with other releases which are typically followed up with “did you follow instructions, have you checked your permissions, have you cleared your cache, did you have local overrides that conflict, etc”. While I do respect your perspective and decision to wait, I personally do not personally believe that they are indicative a rushed release.

* While there was an immediate followup release (1.2.0.1), it contained only 2 specific issues: one due to a sql version compatibility issue with a minor percentage of installs and the other not passing userid in connect.

* So far 1.2.1 only has 7 open defects, none of which are “critical” issues. What “serious issues” are you seeing that leads you to believe it is not production ready? Have you opened issues in the tracker on them so they can be resolved?

I agree that it does suck when stuff goes wrong. That being said, for many of us 1.2.0.1 is very production sound and as Senator points out above, any issues were uncovered in non-production environments and are typically a result of not following directions, a third party extension, a local change that conflicted or an edge case that was not covered in regression testing.

@mbguy: I saw an issue with mini-search as well but after rebuilding the search index in the admin all is well now. Have you tried that?

@mbguy: I’m not seeing any issue with secure checkout (ie. when users click “proceed to checkout” they are redirected to the secure version of the site). What are the steps you are taking to reproduce it failing? What are your ssl settings/paths set to in admin?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Trevor Jacques

Total Posts:  9
Toronto

skippybosco - 03 January 2009 08:54 PM

@turbo1: as I’ve seen a number of your posts in the forum today I wanted to throw my hat in as one of the many that are running 1.2.0.1 without incident.

I suspect that you’re one of the lucky few.

Finally, I managed to get the correct requirements for Magento into place:

Congratulations! Your server meets the requirements for Magento.

You have PHP 5.2.0 (or greater)
Safe Mode is off
You have MySQL 4.1.20 (or greater)
You have the curl extension
You have the dom extension
You have the gd extension
You have the hash extension
You have the iconv extension
You have the mcrypt extension
You have the pcre extension
You have the pdo extension
You have the pdo_mysql extension
You have the simplexml extension

and then tried a clean install of the latest version, 1.2.0.1. No luck. I get the home page and the admin pages (mostly), but not a single other user page. Seeing all the problems people had experienced with the 1.2.0.1 upgrade, I tried a fresh installation of 1.1.8. Again, no dice.

What is it with this product? WordPress may have some spaghetti code, internally, but at least it installs cleanly when the requirements have been met.

Grrrr. Magento has so much potential, yet the costs of installation are rapidly becoming out of proportion to the price. I’ve spent days on this (i.e. much more than buying a product), and am still unable to get this product to behave, even in a clean, default, demo installation.

Interesting that Varien responds to praise, but I’ve yet to see it formally respond on the fora to criticism. Again, the comparison is unfavourable to Magento....

Magento Community
Magento Community

harry12bar

Total Posts:  168

Hi, 1.2.1 working fine on live site… No Problems.

Magento Community
Magento Community

turbo1

Los Angeles, CA

@skippybosco
I’m glad you’re one of the few who got it working. But is your SSL working?

I have 3 stages I go through when I do any upgrade. i never just upgrade production, that would be asking for it with this buggy software. I have a dev site that runs locally, and a staging site that mirrors the live site exactly.  Upgrade worked on dev and staging, but not on production. Why? I have no freaking clue. Staging mirrors live *exactly* - same server, everything.  That being said, even on staging the SSL was completely broken. Major defect IMHO.

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  796

@turbo1
Just to be clear I understand what you are experiencing, when my users push the “proceed to checkout” button or push login/account they are automatically redirected to the secure (https) version of the site. It was necessary for me to set the secure path settings in admin for this to function correctly. (http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/27102/)

Magento Community
Magento Community

turbo1

Los Angeles, CA

@skippybosco
No worries, I’m hoping that a new version with those issues fixed will be available soon.. I’ve heard 1.2.x has performance enhancements, so naturally I couldn’t help myself grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

hydra
Guru

Total Posts:  378
Amsterdam

harry12bar - 04 January 2009 07:12 AM

Hi, 1.2.1 working fine on live site… No Problems.

Same here, the SQL bug hit me but that was quickly resolved with the help of user advocat and the 1.2.1 upgrade.
I am running 5 (test) websites and no problems so far.
btw I upgraded from 1.1.8

I must say that if i where running live shops, i would probably wait 2 weeks or so before installing any upgrade.
Upgrading the same day that a upgrade is available is only for testers and non-live sites. imho.

Ronald.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community