Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

magento on siteground.com : go or not? 

Matteo Raggi
Guru

Total Posts:  312
Italy

I read that siteground have php 5.2 and magentocommerce.com need php5.2
but when I try to install it in folder magento of http://www.hotel-supplies.biz and also at address http://www.hotel-supplies.biz/magento/install

I receive this message, why?
Whoops, it looks like you have an invalid PHP version.

Magento supports PHP 5.2.0 or newer. Find out how to install Magento using PHP-CGI as a work-around.

what I’m doing of wrong?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

kameko.rouge

Total Posts:  58

well you’re obviously not running php 5.2> then. what does phpinfo say?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Matteo Raggi
Guru

Italy

here say: PHP 5.0, PHP 5.1, PHP 5.2
http://www.siteground.com/hosting_features.htm

but my cpanel say : PHP version 5.0.5 .. mm..

Magento Community
Magento Community

Matteo Raggi
Guru

Italy

solution found!
http://kb.siteground.com/article/How_to_have_different_Php__MySQL_versions.html

Magento Community
Magento Community

Matteo Raggi
Guru

Italy

ho una notizia ancora + buona! siteground.com è stato aggiornato di default a php 5.2
quindi non c’è bisogno di script strani di configurazione adesso per poertarlo alla 5.2…

Magento Community
Magento Community

edwardtilbury

Total Posts:  66
Las Vegas, Nevada

Siteground = No

Here’s the deal with them.. They are like one of those fine-print car salesmen type of hosts..

Fine Print SCAM
Sign up for 1 month for $9.99 , as soon as it expires we’ll charge you for a YEAR! That’s $120!! Sure they tell you in the fine print, but that’s just shady, on top of all that they WON’T give you a refund, just u..  Godaddy gave me all of my money back no BS, but I can’t run magento on Godaddy unfortunately.

No Phone Support
There’s a ticket system which has a fast response time, but they bury it in links on their site.. For instance , just to report a problem, you have have to:
1.Login
2. Click “MY Account”
3. Click “Support”
4. Click on “Hosting problem”
5.Click on CPanel issue
6. Scroll to the very bottom and click “my issue was not found here”
It’s a joke! They purposely try to deter you by making you click all over the place, like I said this company is really shady.

CAN’T EXPORT PRODUCTS!
This is an essential feature, let’s say you have a client that updates his products and sometimes exports his products to resellers.. Good luck with SG.. You have to do custom phpmyadmin queries.. Sure it works with that workaround, but if you advertise your hosting as “Magento Supported” and can’t do a simple export, what can I say....

CAN’T DELETE PRODUCTS! (over 30)
Times out!! WTH!! So If I have to delete 3000 products there goes my weekend.. Again there is a workaround by truncating a table in phpmyadmin, but this is pathetic, can’t delete more than 30!

CAN’T IMPORT PRODUCTS (over 3000)
I’m surprised it could even handle that many products! , You can simply split up your file to get around this., I could live with this limitation.

Unlimited traffic - Unlimited web space - Unlimited email accounts - LIE!!!
BUT NO UNLIMITED INODES!??!?!? WTH?
Siteground wanted to get your business with some pretty tempting statements… Unlimited traffic, space, etc…
But they came up with a new metric called “inodes” and they limit it!
I used up all of them before my site even went public!  This is a joke!
It’s like saying you can have unlimited disk space, just don’t use that FAT table..

This company is too shady, I’m dropping them and looking for a new host.

Magento Community
Magento Community

zododo

Total Posts:  4

Don’t trust Siteground Hosting, they’re liars!

They promise to have money back guarantee with free one month trial. However, at the last day of my trial period, I decided to cancel my account for the reason of slower server, too frequent down time...and much higher renewal price I never agreed. What happened was that they charged me whole year service and refuse to cancel my account for full refund.

I have called my bank to dispute the charge. My post here is to tell you guys to steer clear Siteground hosting, they’re not only have poor hosting, but also not honest.

Magento Community
Magento Community

grazzt

Total Posts:  106

edwardtilbury is right: STAY AWAY FROM SITEGROUND!!!!! They renew your subscription by themselves without any notice 20 days before the end of the subscription! Thats histerical! I got charged for an extra year while I had no intention to stay there!! STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!!!

If you want shared hosting you should better go with magento optimized webhosts (litespeed servers, eaccelerator support etc).

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community