Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

I would like to create a product that is the parent of other products in inventory

ddoddsr

Total Posts:  24

I have a parent item which has several children. like a bill of materials
Customer buys qty 1 of parent item that would translate to the appropriate number of child items.

1 Super Widget Pack is made up from
2 small widgets
1 pack of widget glue
2 widget stickers
1 set of instructions

The order created would call out all the info above , removing just the children from inventory.

The Super Widget Pack draws it’s qty on hand or stock status from the availability of all the children

Can this be done in the current version?

Thanks Dan

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

kab8609

Total Posts:  821
Cleveland

From reading your statement, this would simply be a bundled product in Magento. Yes it can be done out of the box.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ddoddsr

That was the first thing i tried but I didn’t go far enough.
thanks for the response,
Dan

Magento Community
Magento Community

kab8609

Total Posts:  821
Cleveland

Could you tell us what limitations you discovered with the bundle products that won’t work for your application?

Also, could you give us an ideal scenario?

The great thing with Magento is, functions can be easily altered to get the desired output.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ddoddsr

Kris,

I just didn’t go far enough to see that the bundle would work. I made a bundle and got the idea.

We will look into this in the near future for actual kitting where the list of items are not optional ,
it’s a fixed kit from a sale on a different venue.
the kit would be available only if all required parts were available in enough qty.

sometime the parts would be for sale separately sometime not.

Thanks for the followup, there is a lot to learn here before one can become useful.
I’ll take a look at core behavior when we get closer to using bundles, just wanted to verify that it would work in some fashion.

dan

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community