Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Can ‘Download Updates’ be skipped? 

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

I was trying to install the beta (magento-installer-0.7.14800) from MAMP Pro, but getting stuck in the “‘Download Updates’ page. If I choose “Preferred stability: ALPHA” or “Preferred stability: BETA” , it’s giving me this message :

Setting preferred state to: beta
config-set succeeded

but then nothing happens, there is no way I can click ‘continue’ or next. I am not comfortable with SVN installation, as for the Manual Downloads and Upgrades, I am not sure if that is what I should do either.

If one downloaded the latest version that is currently in the download page, isn’t there supposed to be a way to skip this ‘Download Updates’ page?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Michae1
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  826

Hi chinesedream,

I’d recommend you to download a complete package (not an installer) and install it instead. You will just have to click on “Continue SVN Installation” button on ‘Download Updates’ installation step (actually there’s nothing to deal with SVN there, so don’t worry).

If you try to install with installer only, youl have to go through downloading all the rest of Magento with “Preferred stability: BETA” button.

Magento Community
Magento Community

baijianpeng

Total Posts:  7

I had downloaded the magento-0.7.14800.zip file, which is about 9.13MB, I think this must be a FULL package ?

Ok, I try to install it on my XAMPP 1.64 testing server built on my WinXP computer.

When I get into the Download Updates page, I also don’t know which one I should choose.

As metioned above, I choose Continue SVN Installation, but the page just refreshed and nothing new appear. I was still on the Download Magento Core Modules and Updates page.

Why magento has such a Stupid Installation program ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Michael - 22 January 2008 12:11 AM

Hi chinesedream,

I’d recommend you to download a complete package (not an installer) and install it instead. You will just have to click on “Continue SVN Installation” button on ‘Download Updates’ installation step (actually there’s nothing to deal with SVN there, so don’t worry).

If you try to install with installer only, youl have to go through downloading all the rest of Magento with “Preferred stability: BETA” button.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the tips. It’s working now. I do, however encounter another problem that CSS files and images are not fully loaded and links for ‘my wishlist’, ‘checkout’, ‘my acct’ and ‘login’ show page not found; ‘my cart’ is loaded but it shows a blank page. I don’t have this problem with the installation on (mt) though, but it’s too slow, almost impossible to work on anything. I had the previous version installed in hostgator server, the speed was reasonable.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

@baijianpeng: There is a different behaviour with buttons in Internet Explorer that was fixed for future releases.
bug
Please try Firefox.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

baijianpeng - 22 January 2008 05:18 AM

Why magento has such a Stupid Installation program ?

Hi Baijianpeng,

No need for big font in red text and used the ‘s’ word. Learn some netetiquette perhaps?

I share enough frustration working and testing out Magento too - it’s still in Beta and Varien team is really working hard on this software. If you find the current stage is not acceptable, perhaps wait for another two years before coming back to try it out.

Magento Community
Magento Community

baijianpeng

chinesedream - 22 January 2008 06:04 AM

Hi Baijianpeng,

No need for big font in red text and used the ‘s’ word. Learn some netetiquette perhaps?

If you had spent more than 4 hours on such a simple installation procedure and can’t get through the 2nd step you will also have the same attitude.

Maybe those Magento guys like Linux more than Windows, maybe they never use IE browser, I respect their choice, but did they told the users that this installation will ONLY work on FireFox and Linux ?

As I said, I did every step following the OFFICIAL instruction on how to install Magento on XAMPP built on Windows OS, but I DID NOT see the same result as they described.

Yes, this morning I changed to FireFox browser and that step was getting over.

You know, I can wait for 20 years if you told me don’t try to install it on Windows OS with XAMPP. The point I was anry is, why bury this secret outside of the XAMPP/Windows installing instruction?

I still think this is the worst installation program I had met.

Hope the core team can learn something from phpbb, IPB, vBulletin, or Joomla!, they all have wonderful installation program.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

@baijianpeng: this was a bug in young beta software and was fixed as soon as was reported.

There’s no reason to be angry about.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  906
Huntsville, AL

I love the words he chooses. Quite entertaining.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

baijianpeng - 22 January 2008 02:02 PM

chinesedream - 22 January 2008 06:04 AM

Hi Baijianpeng,

If you had spent more than 4 hours on such a simple installation procedure and can’t get through the 2nd step you will also have the same attitude.

Relax, go make yourself a pot of Woolong tea grin

The first beta release took me two days to upload the entire Magento folder via FTP because it kept given me time-out for no reason. Finally I learned to upload the files via SSH (another day!), and then one more day to learn my webhost’s isn’t compatible with Magento system requirement.

Five months later I am still here putting my patience to the greatest test.

Magento Community
Magento Community

baijianpeng

I still love Magento for its features. But I don’t like the installation program.

If I had downloaded the whole package, why I should download something during the installation ?

If there is a bug with IE browser, why not point it out in the installation guide ?

At last, I know that on FireFox browser I can finish the installation procedure in less than 10 minutes.

It is not a big bug, it is just the way of when and where will you tell users about this bug. If they had recommend FireFox in the OFFICIAL guide, I would use FireFox at the first time and save my time.

I think I DO have reason to be angry.

Magento Community
Magento Community

TDub

Total Posts:  14

Moshe - 22 January 2008 02:06 PM

@baijianpeng: this was a bug in young beta software and was fixed as soon as was reported.

There’s no reason to be angry about.

Actually, there is a reason… It’s just not appreciated. rasberry

He just needs more experience with OSS. This is all a part of the game. Over the years I have had problems with plenty of compilers and installers (Magento’s too), but I know what I’m doing so it doesn’t take me 4 hours smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

baijianpeng

Yes, leave the compiling work to users is very unadvisable.

I know, those who can develop a big OSS web program are very talented. But did they think it over when they want to release their work result as a RAW source package or an incomplete installer?

You must think it over before doing this.

Because the users are not talented as you are. Most of the internet users are still using IE browser and Windows OS. We don’t know how to execute a PEAR command or file on XAMPP testing server.

So must learn to lower down your threshold for common users.

This can be a remindness to all OSS developers. On one hand, they want to communicate only with Linux genius to save their time, on the other hand, they hope all the internet users will try their product. So there is a gap between these two wishes.

You must make it easier and easier for average people like me in order to spread your products quickly.

Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community