Magento Forum

How do I enable backorders with the product status set to ‘out of stock’

superfoodguy89

Total Posts:  1

If I set the product status to ‘out of stock’ then the checkout cart button disappears, preventing people from ordering an item on backorder.  If it is set to ‘in stock’, people think that the product is in stock, even when quantity goes below zero.  The only way people see that their item is on backorder is when they go to the checkout cart, and it is printed in small text and light grey color (very hard to read) under the appropriate item in the cart.

Anyone have any ideas on the proper way to set up backorders?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Glaxio

Total Posts:  8

Hi Superfoodguy,

I to have been trying to setup backorders for the past few days. I’ve almost got there so will be pleased to provide the information I have learnt so far. If you are able to solve my problem that would be greatly appreciated.

Setup I am aiming for and I’m not far off from doing is:-

As soon as stock reaches 0 then customer’s are still able to order as a backorder.

Usually it will only notify the customer it is a back order when they are on the checkout/cart screen.

By editing the catalog>product>view>type>simple.phtm or defualt.phtm and adding this code:-

<?php $_product = $this->getProduct() ?>
<?php echo $this->getPriceHtml($_product) ?>
<?php if((int) Mage::getModel('cataloginventory/stock_item')->loadByProduct($_product)->getQty() < 1): ?>
<p class="availability"><?php echo $this->__('Currently on Backorder Dispatched in 1-2 weeks.') ?></p>
<?php else: ?>
<p class="availability"><?php echo $this->__('Availability: In Stock.') ?><br />
<?php endif; ?>

So now I am clealry able to show customers on the product page if it is in stock or if its is on backorder.

My issue is that as soon as my products reach 0 stock the products stock status becomes “out of stock” even though back order is enabled. And in turn removes the “add to cart button”

I then manually change it to in “stock” via the admin manage products section and then back ordering is then enabled.

This is too time consuming per product, I want it to remain “in stock” all the time so that when it reaches zero it does not automatically change to “out of stock”

my settings are:-

Display out of stock product (YES)
Only X left threshold (0)
Manage stock (YES)
Backorders (Allow Qty Below 0 and Notify Customer)
Qty for Items Status to Becomes Out of Stock (0)
Notify for Quantity Below (1)

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Magento Community
Magento Community

chadjmorgan

Total Posts:  252
Michigan

Glaxio - 12 February 2012 05:37 AM

Hi Superfoodguy,

I to have been trying to setup backorders for the past few days. I’ve almost got there so will be pleased to provide the information I have learnt so far. If you are able to solve my problem that would be greatly appreciated.

Setup I am aiming for and I’m not far off from doing is:-

As soon as stock reaches 0 then customer’s are still able to order as a backorder.

Usually it will only notify the customer it is a back order when they are on the checkout/cart screen.

By editing the catalog>product>view>type>simple.phtm or defualt.phtm and adding this code:-

<?php $_product = $this->getProduct() ?>
<?php echo $this->getPriceHtml($_product) ?>
<?php if((int) Mage::getModel('cataloginventory/stock_item')->loadByProduct($_product)->getQty() < 1): ?>
<p class="availability"><?php echo $this->__('Currently on Backorder Dispatched in 1-2 weeks.') ?></p>
<?php else: ?>
<p class="availability"><?php echo $this->__('Availability: In Stock.') ?><br />
<?php endif; ?>

So now I am clealry able to show customers on the product page if it is in stock or if its is on backorder.

My issue is that as soon as my products reach 0 stock the products stock status becomes “out of stock” even though back order is enabled. And in turn removes the “add to cart button”

I then manually change it to in “stock” via the admin manage products section and then back ordering is then enabled.

This is too time consuming per product, I want it to remain “in stock” all the time so that when it reaches zero it does not automatically change to “out of stock”

my settings are:-

Display out of stock product (YES)
Only X left threshold (0)
Manage stock (YES)
Backorders (Allow Qty Below 0 and Notify Customer)
Qty for Items Status to Becomes Out of Stock (0)
Notify for Quantity Below (1)

Help would be greatly appreciated.

hmm are you sure your settings for the product allow backorder also?

If you are interested, I have an extension which adds a lot of stock status / backorder functionality. You can check it out here: http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/configurable-product-custom-stock-status-and-more.html

Magento Community
Magento Community

FMEExtensions
Mentor

Total Posts:  1140

You can achieve this functionality through Custom Stock Labels

http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/custom-stock-labels-6045.html

Magento Community
Magento Community

MagePlace

Total Posts:  50
Belarus

First, you need to allows backorders for your webshop. Go to: Menu Settings -> Configuration -> Backorder -> Content Options. There insert “Yes” in all fields.

You can use the backorder extension to add custom stock status. And it works for grouped, configurable and bundle products.

Magento Community
Magento Community

noeltam75

Total Posts:  5

superfoodguy89 - 11 February 2012 01:13 PM

If I set the product status to ‘out of stock’ then the checkout cart button disappears, preventing people from ordering an item on backorder.  If it is set to ‘in stock’, people think that the product is in stock, even when quantity goes below zero.  The only way people see that their item is on backorder is when they go to the checkout cart, and it is printed in small text and light grey color (very hard to read) under the appropriate item in the cart.

Hi superfoodguy89
Have you solve this problem?
I am searching all over forum for answers.

Magento Community
Magento Community

AITOC
Guru

Total Posts:  618
US

Hello, noeltam75

You can try our Pre-orders extensions.
By setting the product as “In stock” and marking it as “Pre-Order” you can enable customers to place orders. See extension page for details and demo at http://www.aitoc.com/en/magentomods_pre_order.html

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3769

superfoodguy89 - 11 February 2012 01:13 PM

Hi there,

to properly set backorders and let customers offer out of stock products in advance, please try this extension: http://amasty.com/pre-order.html. This tool will help you easily manage your store backorders and pre orders, allowing to replace the Add to Cart button with the Pre Order/ Backorder button on product and category pages.

The module enables you to:

- Replace Add to Cart button with customizable Backorder button;
- Set backorders/pre orders for configurable, bundle and grouped products;
- Manage backorder info on your order grid;
- Place customizable product notes with stock statuses on product and shipping cart pages;
- Create warning messages for customers on order info pages;

Image Attachments
pre-order-category-page.pngpre-order-shopping-cart.pngpre-order-account-page.pngpre-order-inventory.png

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jase007
Guru

Total Posts:  388

Hello,

You can also have a look this thread http://magentoexpertforum.com/showthread.php/11206-How-to-enable-Back-Orders-in-Magento

Thanks

iLoveMage

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community