Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

What are the rules in modifying extentions

sheba2

Total Posts:  111
United States

I drastically modified an free extension to do much more than it does and feel I should profit from it by selling it.  Before I modified it, I contacted the extension owner several times to ask them to modify it as needed and I would pay them for it, but got no response.

Does anyone know what the rules are in selling a highly modified free extension?

Thanks for your attention.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

bgribaudo

Total Posts:  21

To answer this question requires knowing the license terms governing the original module.

Did the original module come with a license agreement (perhaps a License.txt file in the module’s zip/gz archive)? Do *all* of the modules’ PHP files contain a text header saying that GPL or OSL or some other license covers the module?

Magento Community
Magento Community

sheba2

United States

This is the extension that I modified http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/jextn-faq.html.

Magento Community
Magento Community

bgribaudo

Total Posts:  21

When I click “Get Extension,” a link to the extension’s license agreement is displayed. Take a look at that agreement. While an understanding of the entire agreement is important in answering your question, section 1b is particularly of note. Additionally, the “A brief explanation of this license is available” at the bottom of the agreement may be helpful.

Hope this helps!

Magento Community
Magento Community

sheba2

United States

Many thanks.  I really appreciate your taking time to educate me!

Stay Blessed!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community