Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 4
[SOLVED!] Search on front end returns no results after upgrade 1.1.8 to 1.2.01

vadimc

Total Posts:  87
London

i have the same problem. cleared the cache and when i go to rebuild the index, i get:
Fatal error: Call to a member function setAttribute() on a non-object.

i was able to rebuild the index earlier on just after the upgrade though… so there is something weird going on there. it is not browser dependant.

however, i found an alternative solution!

go to each of your products in your store and just click on save. dont go to rebuild the index again as it will delete the index again.
after you finish with saving all the products, go to the storefront and you will see the mini search works smile

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

cycore

Total Posts:  10

I get the error message: “Error while rebuilded Search Index. Please try again later”
Clearing the cache does not help… any suggestions?

Magento Community
Magento Community

cycore

As it turnes out, the error message above only appears in the live shop. On my local test server, which should be a pretty exact replica of the live production system, I got the error message you have been getting.

I used xdebug to trace it and found, that this error only appears for certain custom attributes. In my case, I had to delete an attribute which had a multiselect input. After that I was able to rebuild the index successfully

Magento Community
Magento Community

GenericWhiteGuy

Total Posts:  3

davidgrun - 01 January 2009 05:37 AM

{EDITED}
2. Rebuild Search Index
In your admin panel (backend) go to System > Cache Management and click on ‘Rebuild’ (next to ‘Search Index’)
!

What am I missing here?  I’m on 1.2.01 and I don’t have anything on the Cache Management page that says “Search Index” and I don’t have any buttons that say “rebuild”. 

I have Cache Control with checkboxes at the top and a section called “Catalog” with
“Catalog Rewrites/Refresh”,
“Images Cache / Clear”, and
Layered Navigation Indices/ Queue Refresh/ Refresh Now”

Where is the missing search cache button?

Image Attachments
cache.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community

jsperri

Total Posts:  126
Fistufle

GenericWhiteGuy:
The button in on the bottom of the Catalog panel in the Cache Management page, see attached screenshot
I suspect that you have a faulty upgrade, you are also missing the Cache Control (beta) panel.

Image Attachments
magento_cache_mgt.gif

Magento Community
Magento Community

GenericWhiteGuy

jsperri - 04 January 2009 02:58 AM

GenericWhiteGuy:
The button in on the bottom of the Catalog panel in the Cache Management page, see attached screenshot
I suspect that you have a faulty upgrade, you are also missing the Cache Control (beta) panel.

Yep.  I did the upgrade through Magento Connect and I guess it didn’t work completely.  Copied everything over manually and now I have the button.  I also had the error on clearing the search cache.  It looks like there will always be an error if you have an attribute with a multi-select and enable it in mini-search.  Setting mini-search to “no” solves the refresh error, but hopefully there will be a fix soon.  I do need that attribute to be searchable.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nileco

Total Posts:  79
Virginia

GenericWhiteGuy - 04 January 2009 02:57 PM

jsperri - 04 January 2009 02:58 AM
GenericWhiteGuy:

Yep.  I did the upgrade through Magento Connect and I guess it didn’t work completely.  Copied everything over manually and now I have the button.  I also had the error on clearing the search cache.  It looks like there will always be an error if you have an attribute with a multi-select and enable it in mini-search.  Setting mini-search to “no” solves the refresh error, but hopefully there will be a fix soon.  I do need that attribute to be searchable.

GenericWhiteguy,
I’m really glad to see that someone else has/had this problem.  I just upgraded and found it.  So to solve the issue did you just ftp the 1.2.0.1 files over your existing install?

Magento Community
Magento Community

GenericWhiteGuy

nileco - 04 January 2009 03:22 PM

GenericWhiteguy,
I’m really glad to see that someone else has/had this problem.  I just upgraded and found it.  So to solve the issue did you just ftp the 1.2.0.1 files over your existing install?

Yes, after I did the Magento Connect upgrade it showed that I was running 1.2.01, but apparently it didn’t upgrade all the files.  I downloaded the full package and copied it into the web directory.  I haven’t had any upgrades over Magento Connect that worked correctly, so I shouldn’t have been surprised.

I don’t understand why there isn’t any type of check in the install process to make sure that the files were actually copied and are the correct version.

Magento Community
Magento Community

vadimc

Total Posts:  87
London

GenericWhiteGuy - 04 January 2009 02:57 PM

I also had the error on clearing the search cache.  It looks like there will always be an error if you have an attribute with a multi-select and enable it in mini-search.  Setting mini-search to “no” solves the refresh error, but hopefully there will be a fix soon.  I do need that attribute to be searchable.

cool, i disabled the quick search for the attribute with multiple drop downs and it worked for me too - i could rebuild the index with no errors!

Magento Community
Magento Community

cycore

@GenericWhiteGuy: [off topic]
I had problems with Magento Connect too, but only, because I moved the magento directory after the first install. I you move your files around manually, e.g. move your shop from /magento to /, you have to adjust that path in the downloader. It is stored in file pear.ini in the downloader folder. It is encoded as a serialized php array. I think there was another file which needed to be edited, but I don’t remember right now. I can look it up if you want…

Magento Community
Magento Community

rrroulio

Total Posts:  88
france moselle

vadimc - 05 January 2009 12:22 AM

cool, i disabled the quick search for the attribute with multiple drop downs and it worked for me too - i could rebuild the index with no errors!

Yes it works, i have 20 attributes, grrrr. but after reactivate quick search, “browse by menu” shows nothing. I think 1.2 1 is not finalized, not cool Varien !! It’s the first time back end have problems after upgrade. I hope the last.

Magento Community
Magento Community

winterradio

Total Posts:  84

I tried this solution and changed all of my “Multiple Select” attributes to “No” for quick search.  After I had done this I was able to rebuild the search index successfully but I was still receiving no results on the front end for simple search terms.

Found the solution:  Go to - Catalog -> Search | Select All | Delete --- In other words delete all of your existing stored search queries and your search will again work.

Hope this helps someone.

Magento Community
Magento Community

rrroulio

Total Posts:  88
france moselle

winterradio - 05 January 2009 08:06 AM

Found the solution:  Go to - Catalog -> Search | Select All | Delete --- In other words delete all of your existing stored search queries and your search will again work.

could you give more details? where, in admin?
Thanks

oops, i know

admin panel,

it works great

Magento Community
Magento Community

roadrunner

Total Posts:  16

Need both actions:  delete search parameters, and rebuild search index to work properly.  Thank you for the temp fix.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Hucke_Media_de

Total Posts:  16

cycore - 03 January 2009 10:35 AM

As it turnes out, the error message above only appears in the live shop. On my local test server, which should be a pretty exact replica of the live production system, I got the error message you have been getting.

I used xdebug to trace it and found, that this error only appears for certain custom attributes. In my case, I had to delete an attribute which had a multiselect input. After that I was able to rebuild the index successfully

Had the problem: “Error while rebuilded Search Index. Please try again later”

Solution was:
Edit all product attributes which are dropdown or multiple select to searchable “no”.

Then search index rebuilds OK and works fine!

Thanks for the hint, cycore.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 4