Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

[Solved] Help retrieving a catalog product’s attribute option value (dropdown)

petemcw

Total Posts:  24

I am working on a custom API for a client’s Magento site and I’m running into some trouble accessing all the required data that I need to include in the API response.  One of the methods in this API is to return a product’s attributes.  An example product would be a part from a specific television.  The product has an attribute defined called tv_make, and this attribute is defined as a “dropdown” with many options (Sony, Toshiba, etc).

When I try to pull together a collection from the catalog_product model, everything seems to work fine except for the value of attributes like the above tv_make.  I get something like the value “80”, when I’m looking for “Sony”.  Below is the code I a currently have and I’m not sure when the proper join syntax is to pull the attribute’s option value instead of ID.

$collection Mage::getModel('catalog/product')->getCollection()
            ->
setStoreId(self::getStoreId())
            ->
addAttributeToSelect('name')
            ->
addAttributeToSelect('price')
            ->
addAttributeToSelect('tv_make')
            ->
addAttributeToSelect('tv_model')
            ->
addAttributeToFilter('part_number1'$partNumber);

I have also tried things like this, with no luck:

$collection->joinAttribute('brand''catalog_product/tv_make''entity_id'null'left');

Any help in the right direction would be appreciated!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

petemcw

Total Posts:  24

I think I have figured it out. In addition to the code I posted above, I was looping through the different products returned in the collection.  I was able to pull out the attribute value at that stage.

// sample code
foreach ($collection as $product{

echo $product->getAttributeText('tv_make'); // Sony, etc.
}

Hope this helps somone and if there’s a better way to do it let me know!

Magento Community
Magento Community

frontier

Total Posts:  41

Yes I would like to know this as well.. to use as the value to pass to addAttributeToFilter.
(currently I am having to look in the database and then hardcode the value)

Magento Community
Magento Community

miked2004

Total Posts:  214
Atlanta, Georgia

To get the value of a select attribute this code works great.

echo $this->htmlEscape($_item->getAttributeText('color'));

Magento Community
Magento Community

ChrisF

Total Posts:  37

The subject of this thread is similiar to a problem I’m having while learning the Magento API. 

I set up a custom attribute ‘free_shipping’.  It’s a drop down (Yes or No).  In ../template/catalog/product/view.phtml I can do a

<?php if ($free_shipping_text $_product->getAttributeText('free_shipping') == "Yes"): ?>

<li id="container_2" class="tabs-list"><?php echo 'Free Shipping!' ?></li><?php endif;?>

That works fine for the product details page.

But I need free shipping to work on the category list page too, in In ../template/catalog/product/list.phtml.  So we’ve got a

<?php foreach ($_productCollection as $_product): ?>
and then we get the list of products in that category.  The problem is that
$_product->getAttributeText('free_shipping')
never returns any text even though I know it’s set for a couple products and it works in the product detail page.

Any ideas on what I’m doing wrong?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community