Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

confused ; references, names etc

Electric-dsctc

Total Posts:  35

Hello ,
I’m new to Magento, but already loving it smile.
I have read the designers guide and browsed through the forum but there still a lot of things I don’t get !

For instance...I was messing around with the defaut/layout/page.xml file and the template/page/html/header.phtml . I saw that on header.phtml the top menu is called with <?=$this->getChildHtml('topMenu')?>

and that on page.xml there is a “ <block type="core/text_list" name="top.menu" as="topMenu"/>" wich I think is what’s actually being called on the header page with getChildHtml

The thing is that if I change that name as="topMenu" for something else...say “topMenu_something” , or if I even delete that line, the menu is still showing..I don’t get how , I searched through the project and there is no other xml file that has the as="topMenu" reference....
Maybe I got it all wrong? ‘cos makes no sense grrr

‘lectric

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

Go to menu entry: Admin > System > Cache Management, and make sure that all are Disabled when you are developing or making changes to config or layout files.

Alternatively you could Refresh all cache every time you’d like to see your updates.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Electric-dsctc

Total Posts:  35

wow--that was fast!…
Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community