Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

What should I do server company lost my data by their mistake? 

flexcommercein

Total Posts:  1

My live website is down today.
I tried to connect FTP but failed.
And I received e-mail from support of server company as below. 

“This is an EMERGENCY situation we are contacting you about. The long story short is your server is now missing files and we need your assistance to upload any local files and to restore any backups you have immediately.

We had a raid controller failure in the chassis you are on. It failed tonight during the scheduled full backups. The controller corrupted the full backup that was in progress. Unfortnately in order to make room for the full the old is first deleted. The end result is that we only have incrementals left to restore your server which do not contain the full set of files. We need your help to restore the files you have on your local computer and any backups you have.

Please contact us immediately. We will also attempt to call and notify you of this issue.”

Because some users in this forum recommend Magemojo, I chose the company.
Now it is disaster.
I do now know what to do now because I do not have backup SQL file on local disk.
I have never experienced this kind of situation with $2 godaddy hosting.
I want to inform this issue to users who may consider Magemojo. I will update their response soon.
Any suggestion is appreciated.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

JLHC
Mentor

Total Posts:  1287
Tampa, FL

Is this issue resolved yet?

Do you know what type of backup is MageMojo using?

It is unfortunate that the backup is corrupted, which is why we run two separate sets (daily & weekly) of backups to prevent such issues.

Anyway it is still recommended for you to keep a local copy of backup at all times even if your hosting provider promised to take them as you can never go wrong on having too many copies of backups.

Magento Community
Magento Community

magentoexpert

Total Posts:  9
4532, Silicon Valley, San Diago, California - 1234

Yes It is always to keep backup schedule setup on your own rather then rely to others it keeps you safe from accidental hardware or man made mistakes

hope you get solution fast

regards
Johnson

Magento Community
Magento Community

mfujima

Total Posts:  2

flexcommercein are you still with them? We just moved our store to magemojo and are impressed with speed and support response time, but a total of 5+ hours downtime in only 5 weeks is not acceptable to us. Where are you hosting your site now? We are looking at nexcess and peer 1.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MagenX
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  791
Dublin

take a look at namecheap.com
they have 16gb 4cpu servers for 120eur - way to go smile
and ovh.ie they have ssd drives for mysql boost.

better than anything else....

Magento Community
Magento Community

iharmo

Total Posts:  8

Hi, I’ve just signed up for MageMojo’s 30 day trial and then found this thread.

Losing back up data and 5 hours downtime in 5 weeks does not sound good.

No response from Magemojo either. Anyone else having problems with this hosting company?

Magento Community
Magento Community

MageMojo

Total Posts:  10

We don’t normally discuss such things in public forums but in the two cases we’ll make an exception.

The OP is misleading in this post.  We had the database backup from the night before and also had 4 weeks of incremental site file changes.  We didn’t have the full set of files of their sites.  It happened on a Saturday evening and we called everyone immediately and worked with the handful of affected clients to restore their sites from their local copies.  We then applied our incremental changes and restored their databases.

What happened was a double drive raid failure on a particular node during the taking of the full backup.  The backup software was removing the full and making a new when it happened.  That’s a very rare event which we handled well, learned from and improved our infrastructure making it even more robust.

As for the downtime that is correct 5 hours in 5 weeks which totals 7 in 3 years.  The first 2 hours over a year ago was a firmware issue in the TOR switches.  The second and third events in that 5 week window were a large scale DDOS and an internal network attack by hacked customer accounts with weak passwords.

We’ve since switched over to new TOR switches, worked with our up stream providers to enable us to push our own null routes to the borders without having to call them and locked down customers SSH access by IP. Going back through our cancellation requests I do not see any cancellations listed due to downtime.  I believe that’s a testament to our wonderful support and infrastructure that we offer for Magento store owners. 

Hope that helps everyone make informed decisions about your hosting.  If you have any further questions please contact us at

Thank you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Thiago73

Total Posts:  3

We have serious problems with Magemojo hosting too. Their server seems to be a frequent victim of DDOS attacks, taking down all stores hosted by them (including their own site) for several hours. Yesterday our store was offline again, this time for about 10 hours (in words: TEN hours) due to a DDoS attack - there were also some smaller downtimes in the last weeks, ranging from 15 to 20 minutes, which were not even communicated to their customers at all. We just found out about the reason because we sent a support ticket a couple of days later.

In yesterday`s/today`s case, our server was only put online again this morning when we sent a ticket to the support stating that it is still offline (contrary to the statement on their status website which said that everything is working again since 4am). We received no answer or excuse whatsoever but at least they put up our store again. We would really like to continue hosting our store with Magemojo as a VPS gives greater flexibility than a shared environment, but the recent development made us realize that we have to look somewhere else.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community