Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How do I make product appear like this site? 

tonyrelph

Total Posts:  23

Hey all,

I am in the middle of finishing my first Magento shop thanks to the help of all the threads in this forum. I have modified the modern theme and can be seen here at thenaughtyshop.co.uk

One thing I do want to do is to have my products appear like this very nice site http://store.renestorck.com whereby the user clicks on their chosen category and a minimalist page of products appear (just image and title), then when they click on their chosen product a minimalist description page appears. How is this done? Is it a template that all the products are assigned to?

Any help would be great.

Many thanks,

T.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

internetexperts

Total Posts:  2

tonyrelph,

I’ve been just trying to get my categories to appear on my main page like you noted in your posting.  Could you give me a clue on how you did that. 

Does Magento do that if you have the settings correctly?  Or do you have to change the coding of a particular page?

Get back to me if you have a chance.  Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

montpro

Total Posts:  50

Great site Tony.

Sorry but I dont know the answer to your question however could you help me, how did you get your products not to have a drop down sub menu? see http://www.homebrewonline.co.uk

I prefer the way yours looks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tonyrelph

Hi montpro,

Thanks for the comment. With regards to the dropdown feature I didn’t really do anything. The categories you see are just sub categories of the default catalog. Then when I add a product I just assign each product to its chosen category. I then just changed the arrow graphic for a divider.

Looks like you added them as sub categories hence the dropdown. Just have Beer Kits | Wine Kits | Equipment as your categories then link your products to the relevant category.

If you still want sub categories but don’t want them on the navigation bar then you could point the main categories to a static block where you could have graphics or icon dividing the sub categories like the attached image.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

T.

Image Attachments
homebrewsample.png

Magento Community
Magento Community

tonyrelph

Hi internetexperts,

Sorry, didn’t see your post there. As far as I can remember a lot of it was done via the stylesheet although I did comment out a few lines but I think that was just for the toplinks. I am going to go through it all later and see what I actually did because I want to be able to do it again to another installation. Will post my results once checked.

Thanks,

T.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community