Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Strange Results in my Top 5 Search Terms Is there someting sinister going on? 

jduffin611

Total Posts:  2

Hi All

I have been getting some strange search terms in my Top 5 Search Results section on my Magento Version 1.5.1.0

The

‘baddata - It has been queried 654 times with no results

&

'&#x3b;#!--"<>=[]:{()}& - It has been queried 329 times

Any ideas on what this is? AM I being hacked? or is this an internal Magento thang?

Any help/info would be great

Thanks

James

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ndevery

Total Posts:  10

I’ve deleted the search terms but it keeps filling up with shoes, electronics etc. My store doesn’t sell anything like hard goods. (also I don’t think I’ve had traffic enough to do all that searching)

any ideas?

Magento Community
Magento Community

tzyganu
Mentor

Total Posts:  2205
Bucharest, Romania

@jduffin611: don’t worry that string actually means this: ‘;#!--"<>=[]:{()}&*

@jduffin611 and @ndevery: Someone is probably does automatic searches on your website to fined potential security holes. Don’t get alarmed. Magento’s search is built to deal with this.
If you still have troubles sleeping at night you can check your access logs and see what IP address is doing those searches and block it.

Marius.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jonesboatyard

Total Posts:  2

I am experiencing the same problem. The searches that are being repeatedly executed seem to be generated internally and not coming from an external site trying to find security breaches.

I have deleted all of the search results several times as well. Some of the searches that appear again and again, I remember running during testing and now they have been ran in excess of 500 times!

It is annoying as it renders the search results data useless.
Has anybody found a solution?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community