Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

CMS Pages and the Top Navigation Bar

dialsc

Total Posts:  19

Hi there,

this is a feature request. Searching the net for how to add custom entries in the top navigation like links to CMS pages or event custom links returns several tip and tricks and howtos. Event in Magento Connect you’ll find some extensions for this purpose.

Unfortunately none of all the tips/tricks/howtos/extensions releay integrates completely into Magento so all the things like having active navigation items marked as active, show the path in the breadcrumps and so on.

From my personal point of view being able to integrate at least the CMS pages in the top navigation in a hirarchical manor is a must have feature for a full featured shop system.

Do you see an chance to integrate this functionality into Magento in the future? I’m sure this would help a lot people out there working with Magento.

Greez,

dialsc

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

kunoichidee

Total Posts:  35

Definatly!

I agree totally!

Any normal website or webshop or blog, has a top navigation with the possibility to show all kinds of links easily.
CMS pages, Filtered pages (for example a featured or most popular page with automatic selected products according to featured or popular), external links and what I really need is links to the other stores. I have multiple stores (each with 5 languages) and do not like the store switcher. I want those links that appear and work with multiple languages in the store switcher, to be in the top navigation. Same as the Home link, I found a tutorial for that, but that should be a standard feature (to choose from).

I would even skip having two different stores and make just the stores as being 2 root categories to have them show in the top navigations. BUT, then I cant have those to link to a Home page of their own!

I really need this to work!
and looking at some old threads, more people would enjoy this very much!

Magento Community
Magento Community

RobertoMejia

Total Posts:  1

I third that motion.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ozthunderstorm

Total Posts:  7

I cant belive they have not already implimented this feature into Magento. Its a great package overall but this would be so handy to have.

Using this code to set an active HOME link in the top nav at the moment and was thinking it could be changed to suit other cms pages but cant work it out as yet.

<!-- HOME BUTTON HACK -->
<?php $_anyActive = false; foreach ($this->getStoreCategories() as $_category) { $_anyActive = $_anyActive || $this->isCategoryActive($_category); } ?>
<li class="<?php echo !$_anyActive ? 'active' : '' ?>"><a href="<?php echo $this->getUrl('')?>"><?php echo $this->__('Home') ?></a></li>
<!-- HOME BUTTON HACK -->

Magento Community
Magento Community

Imi78

Total Posts:  27

Hi,

looking for a solution too.

Tried it with this code but didnt work out.

<ul id="nav">
        <
li<?php if ($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'== "/"echo ' class="active"'} ?>><a href="<?php echo $this->getUrl('') ?>">Home</a></li>

<?php echo $_menu?>

</ul>

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brynnae

Total Posts:  36
California

Top Navigation is one of the hottest trend now days and preferred by visitors also. I agree with you that the active navigation should be marked. It helps a lot when visitors are in deep linking.

Magento Community
Magento Community

zaheerabbasbadi

Total Posts:  28

To set cms page link in top navigation and set them active when clik on them.below is code for the same.

For set link

<ul id="nav">

<?php echo $_menu ?>
<li id="cms_page" onclick="addClass(this.id);"><class="fancyboxclass1" href="<?php  echo Mage::getBaseUrl(Mage_Core_Model_Store::URL_TYPE_WEB).'testpop';?>">select</a></li>
 </
ul>

for set link active when click on them

function addClass(id){

$$('li.active').invoke('removeClassName','active');

node = $(id);

node.addClassName("active");

}

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community