Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Image Import Disaster

leechdemon

Total Posts:  7

Several “How do I” questions included here. First, the situation…

I placed several images in my media/import folder and added them to a CSV and reimported, rebuilt indexes, etc. The images do not show up in searches, but they DO show up on the product pages. However, I noticed that not all of the images are correctly linked, and upon searching through the files on my FTP browser, I’ve noticed that not all of the images were even imported. I’ve since tried to change the image associations, however relinking images seems to have no effect. Also, the backend doesn’t even recognize that the products have any images listed; it shows the products as having no image, even though they display on the front end.

How do I get products to show up in searches/categories (I’m assuming these are the “small images”, versus “image” and “thumbnail")?
How do I delete image associations if I can’t see them on the backend?
Are images often mislinked to the wrong product, or is this a fluke/user error?
Are images often skipped on the import process?

Help. Help. HELP. Thanks in advance.  ;^D

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

leechdemon

Total Posts:  7

Any tips on this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

patrickgrey33

Total Posts:  3

Here is the list of the most common Magento image import problems and the solutions to them. http://www.file2cart.com/blog/6297-five-most-common-magento-image-import-problems
Hope it will help to reveal and to fix an error

Magento Community
Magento Community

joykeller

Total Posts:  5
Chicago

I’ve had similar issues a few times before - especially with the products not showing on the back-end and associating with products correctly.  Trust me, it’s not an easy issue to fix or resolve.  If it’s a small batch of products/images you’re having trouble with, my suggestion is go directly into the db and delete all the data and start over on that batch. 
If you do decide to start over, it’s a good idea to clear the image cache in the admin (be careful if you do this because it can take a long time to rebuild the image cache if you have a large catalog) before you re-import.  And of course make sure you have all the correct images in the media/import folder.
(*Have you tried clearing the image cache once to see if it will re-build and re-associate the images for you?  Try that before you abandon all hope.*)
This is a tough issue to solve—I really feel for you.  The image management system in Magento is slightly lacking imo, it’s never been the easiest thing to manage once you get errors like that.
If you have any other details, post it and I’ll try to help if I can.

Magento Community
Magento Community

joykeller

Total Posts:  5
Chicago

Oh I’ll also try to answer your specific questions smile

How do I get products to show up in searches/categories (I’m assuming these are the “small images”, versus “image” and “thumbnail")?
Yes the small_image field in your csv relates to the category image/search image for the product—it’s normally the same as your main image for the product, just located on the category template.  thumbnail relates to the small thumbnail image on the product detail page for the gallery.

How do I delete image associations if I can’t see them on the backend?
Hopefully someone else has a good way to solve this, I’ve had to go into the actual db several times to delete any/all associations I can see on products in order to start over and try again.

Are images often mislinked to the wrong product, or is this a fluke/user error?
It’s always been a user error from what I’m experienced.

Are images often skipped on the import process?
The only reasons images are skipped is if the file name is not exact (including the correct file extension .jpg, .png etc) or if the image is not located in the media/import folder.  (for new imports)—or if the name of the image or image path is the same as the cached version that is already in the db, it will skip it then as well.

Hope this helps!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community