Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

What kind of search algorithm does magento use? 

lkbryant

Total Posts:  60

what kind of search algorithm does magento use for the search?

is this fulltext or is this using lucene O_o

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

For now we are just using the ‘like’ statement on all attributes that are set as search- able attributes.. We are looking at enhancing this in the future and are considering lucene.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

I had investigated Lucene myself last year (long before the Zend Framework) and it looked really good. At the time it hadn’t been written in PHP. Now that it has, I’ve been able to have a closer look at what it has to offer, and it’s really quite powerful. I’m looking forward to using it as the base of a custom site search engine for one of my clients. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jason

Total Posts:  19

Scott and Yoav -

How does the Lucene’s logic compare to that of metaphone or doublemetaphone?

Jason

Magento Community
Magento Community

lkbryant

Total Posts:  60

from what i hear, lucene is rediculously fast and able to do a series of complex queries in a much easier and friendlier fashion.
i guess metaphone probably won’t be able to do a full-text type of searching for product names that have “Awesome Shoes Nike XT”

if someone searhes for “nike shoes” , i don’t think metaphone will pick that up whereas Lucene should pick that up.

I haven’t looked into the “LIKE” algorithm Magento have right now but Search is something I think magento is seriously lacking in that department.

If we have like, “Sony VAIO VGN-TXN27N/B 11.1” Notebook PC”

and if i search for “sony notebook” it doesn’t return me any results.

Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

Jason - I have no experience using the Metaphone or Doublemetaphone algorithms and therefore cannot really compare the two. Although from my understanding (and please correct me if I am wrong) Lucene is a search algorithm and the Metaphone algorithm matches a word by its phonetic sound so I am not sure how they would compare.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Php4u

Total Posts:  6
UK

If anyone is interested in Lucene Search implementation go here

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community