Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

What’s the best way to run a store and also still work on it? 

reboot

Total Posts:  39

I am getting ready to launch my store but want to know what the best way to do this and still make customizations, etc without killing my store?  do I make a copy of it on the server and work with the copy?  how does that work when you are working with the database?

Can someone explain the best way to do this?

I want to be able to tweak and and upgrade to 1.20 etc without causing problems for my store that will be online.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Damian Culotta
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  878
Argentina

I’m using SVN.
We work on local developments enviroments and every programmer make the commits.
All that changes are deployed on the staging enviroment.
Once that all changes works ok, We deploy to production using SVN too.

Magento Community
Magento Community

reboot

Total Posts:  39

I would love to do this but it’s a bit over my head for now.

I was thinking of copying my magento folder that is almost ready for production, then makes changes to it and when it’s ready then make it live.

I tried this once but it wouldn’t connect to the database, is it just a matter of installing it and entering all the correct settings for the current database and then it should work?

What folders do I need to make sure to not overwrite?  I know the media folder contains the product images, what else would I need to make sure not to overwrite?

Magento Community
Magento Community

ShopGuy
Guru

Total Posts:  462

This is not comprehensive, but you shoulding overwrite /media/ and /var/ and the config file. I think it is /app/etc/config.xml. That is where your DB information is stored I believe

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community