Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Database suddenly adding large (100MB+) amounts of data

doihaveto

Total Posts:  9

Hello,

I got word from my host the other day about being over the limit for my current data plan. My account was automatically upgraded at my expense to account for this and I have been told in the 2 days since this has happened my database has grown by 102.38MB.

I have only had 1 sale and 1 newly registered customer in the past 2 days and I have done nothing to the website like adding products or pages so there is nothing to account for this behaviour, but it is obviously something I am very concerned about solving quickly. Has anyone heard of behaviour like this happening before?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

Log tables grow with traffic into your website. So all that’s needed is for Google and Bing to decide to index your website for this sudden increase.

Magento Community
Magento Community

doihaveto

Total Posts:  9

This does indeed appear to be the issue, thank you. I truncated 4 log tables and my database went from 1.8GB to 21.7MB gulp

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

Yep, that kind of database expansion has been noted. Another thing to check is the dataflow_batch_import and dataflow_batch_export tables which suffer from occasional egregiously bad housekeeping that prevents them from being emptied post-operation.

On Magento 1.4.x.x and above, make sure you get your cron jobs set up and working and set the Log cleanout to keep no more than 5 days worth in the logs.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community